Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I had an anoying thing start to occur with my 2000SE. Whenever the drivers door is opened the door chimes ring. It started yesterday, the first day we have had fairly cold weather and snow. If I depress the switch in the door jam they go out.

Anyone else have this happen or any solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the key is in the ignition switch, or the headlights are on the chime will soudn when you open the drivers door, it should always happen, not only when cold.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
its actually a common prob, the Key Detect switch is either stuck or the ignition is starting to go which means the tumbler that activates it is stuck...

do you know if your ignition has been replaced ???

The only time the car will chime when the door is open and the keys in the ignition, headlights will also trigger the chime...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The door chimes when the lights are off and the key is not in the ignition switch. I will spray so WD 40 in the ignition switch to see if this help. I wasn't aware that this has been a common problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do NOT use WD-40 in there, you need to get some graphite spray. It is made for this sort of this and will NOT short things out. WD-40 Takes FOREVER to dry and could cause a short/Fire

Reactions: mikebontoft

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I sprayed the WD 40 in the the problem is fixed. I thought about the graphite but graphite is a much better conductor than WD 40 and if there is potential for shorting I thought the graphite would be a poor choice.

Thanks for the clues on where to look,

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts