Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 blue ZX3. It's a five speed 2.0L. Haven't had any major problems with it. About three months ago while driving my door light would randomly flash on and go off. I figured my back hatch was loose so I would close it again. All my other doors were completely closed. As the months have gone on it keeps getting worse. Now as I'm driving the thing is dinging like crazy. [:(!] Now I can take my key out of the ignition while my car is off and it might still blip a little which means it can't be a door not closed. Also, it seems to do it more on right turns. If it was just a door then it wouldn't go off without the key right? I figure it's one of a couple things:

1 The back hatch latch is not completely latched.
2 It's some kind of electrical problem- I think it may be in the dash because if I bump the steering wheel it will make it do it sometimes.
3 A sensor may be going bad.

I took out the black box thing (I don't know much about cars) from behind the fuse box that I'm assuming has the chimer in it. No door chiming but now my back defrost, back wiper, and front wipers on low don't work. Is there any way I can disconnect the chimer with out breaking anything else? The light flashing doesn't bother me I just want the noise to stop. My brother is a mechanic but I'm not sure he knows much about electrical kind of stuff. I have been asking and nothing is done so I'm taking it into my own hands. Is there an easy fix for me? Or something I could have my brother do that would help? I really appreciate any help.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
check out the wires between the body of the car and the back door there notorious for breaking...

they will look something like this and yes there wires in the bundle that will trip the door chime

that mess of cracks/breaks will cause Havoc to everything from defrost to wipers to failed brake lights :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother also told me the black box I took out was the GEM mod. Oops. After putting it back in and clearing codes, driving to cause dinging, etc., could there be any codes that would indicate if there is anything wrong besides wires? Like if it is a censor or something? If it isn't wires.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
did you have any codes before pulling the module out???

well the door ajar switch's are located in the following

Front doors there on the pillar where there built into the striker pin
back hatch its built into the actual locking mechanism..

if theres codes stored it will illuminate the check engine light, if its not illuminated then the computer doesn't have any codes stored

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well module is back in. Ding, ding, ding. Checked wires and there doesn't seem to be any breakage. Check engine light isn't on. All door ajar switches seem to be fine. Ugh. Tomorrow all codes will be erased (because of removing the module) and we will see what happens. Is there any way just to remove or turn off the chimer?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
theres 2 other possibilities

but neither would trip the Door Ajar light

The dings can be tripped by a faulty ignition (key Presence) switch, it could also be tripped by a faulty headlight switch

as per the bunch of wires in the rubber s tube between the trunk hatch and the body the ignitions on these cars are known to either slowly go bad or just out of the blue break and won't work

does the car ding with the key removed from the ignition ?????

if thats the fact then we can narrow it down ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Car got checked tonight. The computer had a code that indicated it is being tripped by the passenger door. My car is smarter than I thought. So it is in the wiring or something. Yay! Some answers that don't seem too expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think this is an old thread-- but I'm having a similar problem and also have a brother who isn't responding SO I am also taking matters into my own hands! I have the GEM module the vehicle came with- upon insertion, it works for a split second then goes haywire--
UPDATE: Actually, we are not sure if the GEM module is original to the vehicle or if we picked it up from a salvaged vehicle to try to solve the problem.. buying a new (used) one from Ebay looks like around 50 bucks.. so I'd like to get some input before putting the money out, if anyone knows?

The wires in my hatch look exactly like the ones posted-- Broken --

Does anyone know if I can replace them or .. is my only option to simply cover them with electrical tape?? I'd like a more long term solution, if anyone can direct me! I figured out the wiring and soldered a new stereo into my car when I bought it last year.. if I can do that, I feel like I can fix this with the right help!!

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

Abigail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts