Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow I forgot about my keys being in my pocket, put em through the washing machine. I put them in rice after seeing that my RSA key worked still.

Went to get into my car the next day, wouldn't unlock. No biggy, I'll just use the key and unlock the door. Success, open door and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Car wouldn't start either

Luckily I have my spare set. I guess these keys are pretty expensive so I'll just be REALLY careful not to lose it or put it through the wash again.[mecry]

·
Registered
548 Posts
That sucks but kinda goes without saying (also avoid putting your keys in a blender)

How much is a new set?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ouch. Not fun...I'm sure.

I do a lot of backpacking and have been wondering what would happen if I fell in a creek or river. I was thinking of keeping the spare set inside the car but wrapped in a static bag. I think those bags limit RFID tags from being picked up. When I get my car, I will try it out.

Sorry to hear about the busted key...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks but kinda goes without saying (also avoid putting your keys in a blender)

How much is a new set?
Posted via FF Mobile
I've read from $150 to $350. I might call dealership as you never know when you'll misplace they key and you're running late.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I accidentally put my key through the washer on the first day I owned the car. It still works fine though.

Try opening it up and washing off the circuit board with pure water and a soft bristle toothbrush. There usually isn't anything in these that is damaged by wash water, it may just be a blob of soap has changed the impedance of the crystal or RF circuit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I accidentally put my key through the washer on the first day I owned the car. It still works fine though.

Try opening it up and washing off the circuit board with pure water and a soft bristle toothbrush. There usually isn't anything in these that is damaged by wash water, it may just be a blob of soap has changed the impedance of the crystal or RF circuit.
Ditto on the Above,
I would rather use pure alcohol with a brand new soft bristle paintbrush.
clean the whole thing and then let it dry for a few minutes. You might have to put in a new battery as well. We use this technique on cellphones and it usually returns about 90% sucess.
I hope u not the unlucky 10%
Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ouch. Not fun...I'm sure.

I do a lot of backpacking and have been wondering what would happen if I fell in a creek or river. I was thinking of keeping the spare set inside the car but wrapped in a static bag. I think those bags limit RFID tags from being picked up. When I get my car, I will try it out.

Sorry to hear about the busted key...
Posted via FF Mobile
When I go out anywhere near water (we dive a lot so that is often) I place my keys and wallet in a very small dry bag. Even 2 zip locks should serve the purpose for your keys if you are worried about a quick dip in shallow water.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I will try to remember this advise!
Unfortunately, I will remember it after the wash has been on for the first fill up.

Agreed, that alcohol and a soft brush may have worked if you did NOT try the key first.
I have dipped (unplugged) keyboards in warm water after soda was spilled on them and they lasted for years after.

Hiking...I should get a dry bag for this to avoid being stuck out in the woods with a useless key!

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I go out anywhere near water (we dive a lot so that is often) I place my keys and wallet in a very small dry bag. Even 2 zip locks should serve the purpose for your keys if you are worried about a quick dip in shallow water.
A very good point! Zip lock bags..love'em.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I woud still try to clean out the key and rewash it in pure water. Aqua Fina is totally pure water. Rinse out the key fob electrics, and let them dry. (or vacuum them dry, common vacuum cleaner) get a new battery. even if you got a new key. the original one may be able to still work. (the 2012 can take a pile of keys, apparently.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went swimming with my Tacoma key and remote. Once I realized, I opened it up and it was perfectly dry inside! Just the rubber seals kept it perfect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts