Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..... First post here.... I have a 1.8i Zetec.... 100,000 mls

I have had the car about 6mths, all has been well up to now, I am having trouble when we have a hot day (I am in the uk so it don't happen often).

Everytime we get hot weather, I get the same problem.... My temp gauge only goes half way as normal, it never moves more than that so it does not indicae that it is running hot, but the car does seem to be running too hot, I get a pinking noise, and it runs very eratic, stalls at junctions and judders now and then. As soon as the weather gets cooler its ok again.

It also seems to be worse if I have the air con on, but this could just be me thinking its worse then, I am not sure.

Any help or things for me to check would be a great help.... thanks in advance guy's.

Dave.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have the same problem with my 1,6 2000, here in norway (symptoms identical) I have had the engine and ecu replaced (garage blew up my old engine) and there
is no difference, so it seems its a WAD (works as designed) By the way the remp gauge is "digital" And the problem is related hot a hot engine compartment, have tried without a bonnet and its helps a little...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the info.... seems funny that this does not happen on all cars, as your symptoms are identical to mine.

Maybe someone else has the same problem or some more advice

Thanks for your post

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
The AC being on, does put more draw on the engine. So, you"re not crazy it is probably worse with the AC on. Here in the states I have a 2.0 wagon and my wife runs the AC alot and it has NEVER overheated. I wonder if the radiator in the 1.8 or 1.6 is smaller??
The pinging is def, due to heat. It is a shame there is no manual way to retard the timing a few degrees on a modern car. On an old car you would just back the timing off and be fine. I would flush the radiator and look in side with a light when you do and see how it looks in there, then fill it with fresh coolant. Also, there is a product sold here called water wetter that will help a bit, as well. You will most likely find it in motorcycle shops.
The gauge not reading the heat really throws me for a loop however, no idea with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks again for the suggestions, I will try out your ideas next week when I have a couple of days off.

It cant be to serious I hope, as I said it is only when the weather is hot, so the couple of extra degrees to outside temp is enough to make this happen, I would have thought if it was doing it all the time then it would be more of a problem.

And yes it is the gauge reading that I dont understand... The pinking, and erratic running have to be heat problems, but the guage only ever goes half way... it never moves more than that, I guess it too could be faulty?

I will clean out the rad, and find out if I can get the product you suggest... of course any other ideas will only help... thanks for your time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi, your gauge is not fauly, as I mentioned its reading is "digital" controlled by the ECU, it will always stay in the middle, unless there is a problem somewhere (i.e. fan 2 not starting or a vapour lock or broken thermostat ) or something like that... Problem seems to be related to airtemp as far as I have found out..Pinging will occur regardless of A/C off or on but is more noticeable when on ,because of the extra strain on the engine (takes longer to increase RPM) , guess you have noticed that the pinging disappears as sonn as RPM comes above 1800-2200...?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can also try using some water wetter, its an additive you put in your radiator that helps the fluid flow at a lower temp. Just google it and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the pinging is only at low revs... it also goes as soon as the sun goes in, and the outside air temp drops....

I will have to try to measure the air temp each day and see at what temp the problem occurs... at the moment it is very hot in England, and I want to have my A/C on, but it really does make the car horrible to drive.... hard to pull away at junctions as it coughs and splutters, and at juctions it just stalls, I am having to try to keeps the revs up all the time.

As soon as outside temp drops, its fine again.... Grrrrrrr...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found a supplier for Redline Water Wetter and have just ordered some, so we shall see if that helps.... just hope it comes before the sun stops shining this year :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
With 100,000 miles it could likely be carbon buildup made worse by the heat. Try stepping up to higher octane gas. You can also run some fuel system cleaner through it for a few tanks which may help out a bit.

·
Registered
672 Posts
In the past, I've had the "hot gas problem" in both a 87 Dodge Shelby Charger and a T Bird. The manufacturer of both pumps was Welbrow (or Welbro). They admit that their pumps, when older, would work erratically when the fuel was hot, and when I talked with them (way back) they admitted to doing research in the desert to try to find the problem. What I experienced in both situations: On a hot day, the cars would run poorly, start skipping, then die. Leave it for a few hours and come back and it would start and run with no problem. Both cars had the fuel return setup, where underhood temps would heat the gas and return it to the tank. I understand, (at least in my 2.3 Duratec) that it does not have that system. Also, early focus fuel pumps had a problem. Do a search. Don't know about the European models, and the 1.8, but over in the states, it's an extended warranty situation. Good luck

By the way, the pinging problem could be from a weak mixture resulting from the basic fuel problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you for your help and advice, I will over the next couple of weeks try out all of your suggestions, and post how I get on.

Thanks again all of you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts