Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a procharger supercharger with 42lbs injectors, when i dont put the injectors in, the exhaust starts to almost "pop" at wot when the boost gets high, then when i put the 42lbs injectors in, the car runs way to rich (black smoke) to drive. now people said to get it tuned. i have no idea what that is or where to get that done. is there something else i can use to tune it? like a hand held programmer of some sort? thanks alot!

Ryan

·
Registered
305 Posts
McNews should be able to get you running right...just as a caution do not run your car at all til you get the tune. Serious engine damage will result.[paranoid]

·
Registered
789 Posts
you need to get a tune, but to save you a little gas you could try using 38 lb injectors instead of 42.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
you need to get a tune, but to save you a little gas you could try using 38 lb injectors instead of 42.
no, with a tune you can tell what % the injectors run at solving why it's putting so much fuel in. plus if you want more power the 38's might run out and you'll start detonating/pinging. bigger is better for injectors

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could i get one of those cords to hook up to my laptop and programs to tune it all myself? or is that too hard?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
^^^ Unless you have experience tuning, I would leave that to the pro's because you could easily blow up your engine! However, if you do have experience tuning, you can buy the Excal Extreme Tune software to get it done yourself. Just my 2 peso's.

·
Registered
789 Posts
hkysk8r07 said:
no, with a tune you can tell what % the injectors run at solving why it's putting so much fuel in. plus if you want more power the 38's might run out and you'll start detonating/pinging. bigger is better for injectors
38's work fine with f/i. the roush stage 2 turbo kit, that adds 95whp and 110wtq @ 10psi, comes with 38's and i've heard nothing but good things about that kit. this kit makes more hp and tq than the sc kit that he has. so with a sc 38's would be ideal. and besides, you can only decrease the amount of fuel that the injectors push through to a certain extent and the bigger the injectors the more fuel is going to be put in at the lowest setting

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so the best thing for me to be doing is to get 38lbs injectors (sell back the 42lbs) and have a place tune my ecu to the right settings?

·
Registered
789 Posts
yes. and make sure they tune it right. if you are thinking of boosting more or putting any other major engine mods you might consider keeping the 42's tho

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
personally, keep the 42s and get a pretty good tune. I have 2 friends with saturn redlines and both have smaller pullies on them, and one is getting an even smaller one. To get use those pullies they need bigger injectors. Trust me, if your going to go much more boost or put any more mods like cams and such, stick with the 42s, itll save you time and money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
keep the 42's and get your car tuned for them. even if you put on 38's with no tune it's still gonna run like shit. you should really have it dyno tuned with FI so the tuner can make slight changes where needed and see if it fixes the slight hiccups.(i'm saying this assuming you had stock injectors before the 42's) but you should still get some dyno tuning since i wouldn't trust any of the companies with the universal tunes they make.

the xcal2 w/ pro racer package allows you to modify the tune on your computer but unless you actually know what you're doing i don't really reccomend it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah my friend is really good with tuning and such but he doesnt have one for my car, if i got the xcal2, he would be able to adjust everything to its full potential, correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts