Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i took one of my lamps apart to clean, and used some windex to clean everything. when i used it on the chrome housing....i guess the windex (with vinegar, i didn't realize until it was to late) reacted with the chrome and it was wiping off! i was like $^%@ what am i gonna do now[dunno]... but i had couple people tell me my car would look better with black housings with my theme, so was like oh well ill give it a shot!! this is what i did!!

i did some research and found that if you have a chrome covered plastic and want to remove the chrome plating, you can use bleach to remove it without any effects!! i used a mix of bleach/water to eat away at the chrome. didn't take long at all with a toothbrush!! it left a shiny black plastic. looks better than if i would have painted it i think! what what do ya think?

UPDATE: finished driver side lamp and vht'ed the grille running lights!

Attachments

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i think they look great!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
great to know!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[thumb]thanks i think they are gonna look pretty good on the car!!

What ratio of bleach to water did you use?
you can use just bleach. more bleach=faster reaction! but i used 50/50 so it didnt stink so much lol!!
Wow so that's what it looks like under the chrome.
ya i figured it would be a crappy white plastic, but its a smooth shiny black!! i still have to do the other lamp prob do it next weekend! svt will be running around with a black eye lol!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So cool! I'll consider trading my plain headlights if you want to get rid of your damaged ones. Haha
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just went and took some pics of the headlight on car. whats everyone think black or chrome?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Those lights look TOUGH in black.

"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents"

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those lights look TOUGH in black.

"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents"
lol ya i like how stealthy it looks! but it wasnt hard doing it to the pass light it was original and staring to fade and stuff! but the driver is brand new and its hard to decide if i want to take it apart to lol!!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Might as well. I mean, it isn't like you're going to buy a used one and then do that to it, and you certainly don't want to pull the passenger side apart to repaint it again.

I also doubt you'd want mismatched lights.

Do it to it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[werd] ya i hear ya! iam gonna do it next weekend unless i can get my A$$ up early one day this week and do it before work(work 2:40PM-11:10PM) so black eyed svt on the streets!

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Would have held on to mine had I known this. Looks damn good.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
damn, that is awesome!
i have an idea for mine involving some filler and finesse.
i just need a weekend to do them. :?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts