Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a little maintenance on the car. It has around 161,000 miles on it and no service records when I bought it. I changed the fuel filter in June, just changed the oil last week and now I'm getting ready to change the water pump as it's making a horrible noise and when idle'd on a slight up hill incline, it wants to start overheating till the fans kick in. So while I'm at it I figure I better replace some more of the cheap easy fixes. I'm thinking of going with a Wix transmission filter, but I've heard that if the filter has never been changed before 100K then don't change it? I don't know when or if it has ever been changed? But I was thinking of refilling it with maybe some royal purple ATF and maybe some of the Lucas transmission conditioner. I've never done this with a ATX before as I usually drive manuals so input would be appreciated. Also going to swap out the spark plugs and wire. I went to Autozone to get a price and they told me to go with the double platinum plugs, but from the post's I've searched through I've heard of some people having problems with them, Is there a specific plug I should look for? I'm not looking for high performance parts or anything like that, this is just my daily driver and looking to keep it running in the best possible condition to avoid problems later on. Any help with past experience or recommendations would be a big help. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted via FF Mobilejust changed the thermostat in july, changed the alternator about a month ago and the accessory belt looked in good condition, hoses still look and feel good. I bought the car from a dealership that sells old fleet vehicles and we're not on good terms ever since it took them 6 months to do the paperwork to get me my plates on the car and threatened to repo it so I doubt I will get much info about the car from them but I can pull the cover away slightly and look at it and it still seems to have good teeth on the belt no wear on the sides or cracks that I can see

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changing the water pump sure helped with the noises under the hood, also got the alternator adjusted a touch and lined up. Forgot to grab spark plugs but have the wires ready to go when I get the chance
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
520 Posts
Trans filter is good too unless you are already having tranny issues. I like the lucas conditioner the stuff is THICK I let it drain in over night and top off with regulard fluid after that. being an older atx I wouldn't throw and $$ into pricy fluids like royal purple. I'd just put stock replacement fluid and lucas tranny with a new filter and gasket in to it.

Motor: tune up Double plats are good, check belts including T-belt, hoses, thermostat.

Check brakes all the way around and the suspension parts.

Basically I'd go over the car real good. Look at anything on it's way out a a chance for an upgraded part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts