Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little background. I'm currently out of the country, but getting back at the end of the month. There's a 95% chance that there will be a 2003 Focus ZX5 manual waiting for me when I arrive. Therefore, I'm planning the ICE-ing already.

Equipment to Install:
Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
Rockford Fosgate 800 Watt RMS Amp
2x 12" Alpine Type Rs

I plan on following the amp install guide and putting the amp under the driver seat.

Questions?

a) How much wire do I need? I want to run a 1/0 from the battery and set up a distribution under my seat. So how much 1/0 from battery to under the seat, and from under the seat to a good ground spot (assuming a bolt on the back seat).

b) Will a 1/0 fit through the suggested hole near the stearing column?

c) Can I use one of these batter terminals (one or two ?

d) Would an amp comfortably fit under the seat?

·
Registered
146 Posts
djsurge said:
First, a little background. I'm currently out of the country, but getting back at the end of the month. There's a 95% chance that there will be a 2003 Focus ZX5 manual waiting for me when I arrive. Therefore, I'm planning the ICE-ing already.

Equipment to Install:
Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
2x 12" Alpine Type Rs

I plan on following the amp install guide and putting the amp under the driver seat.

Questions?

a) How much wire do I need? I want to run a 1/0 from the battery and set up a distribution under my seat. So how much 1/0 from battery to under the seat, about 8ft will get you to under the seat and from under the seat to a good ground spot (assuming a bolt on the back seat). no, that is not a good ground. You need to ground it straight to the body of the car under the seat. I would also recommend upgrading your cars ground system. ( for example) all the ground wires from the body to the battery under the hood.

more then likley no, I ran 2 guage and it was very tight through the bushing.

not very well. It will have to sit to one side because of the sliding rod for your seat. I hope all this helps and good luck with the new car and stereo installs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
djsurge said:

Equipment to Install:
Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
2x 12" Alpine Type Rs

Questions?

a) How much wire do I need? I want to run a 1/0 from the battery and set up a distribution under my seat. So how much 1/0 from battery to under the seat, about 8ft will get you to under the seat and from under the seat to a good ground spot (assuming a bolt on the back seat). no, that is not a good ground. You need to ground it straight to the body of the car under the seat. I would also recommend upgrading your cars ground system. ( for example) all the ground wires from the body to the battery under the hood.

more then likley no, I ran 2 guage and it was very tight through the bushing.

not very well. It will have to sit to one side because of the sliding rod for your seat. I hope all this helps and good luck with the new car and stereo installs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TexasNotorious!

Where could I run a 1/0 gauge wire?
Good mounting spot for the amp so it's out of sight?
Anyone know about the batter terminals (links above)?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i've got a question, why the need for 1/0 gauge? to be honest if you're looking at the new Rockford amp that runs 800 RMS, i don't even thing 1/0 will fit in the terminals on the amp. . .. also just a heads up some of the 7800's have VERY bad noise due to the clip in RCA's, for what i've seen it's only been the first few production batches that had the problem.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I wish I had ran 1/0ga wire the first time. It allows you to upgrade or run multiple amps later on if you decide to. Maybe I'm lazy and don't want to run wire again. [;)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@focuson03
As far as the amp, it's the old 800.4 and it has 2 8 gauge inputs last time I checked... so I would use a distro block.
The 1/0 gauge is just in case I need more power for another amp :D

The clipping... I really loved my old Pioneer, and I think this one is plain sexy. I'll just get insurance on it and when/if the bastards clips I'll get a new one

@FocusInCali
EXACTLY, I had to run a wire 2x in my old car and it was a pain in the...

So does anyone know if I can use a battery terminal cap like this

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
oh no, i didn't mean actual "clipping" i mean that the RCA Pre outs actually clip into the head unit. i swapped our display unit into my car and found that it was getting terrible engine whine while my 7700 didn't have any. . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm,
after clicking around on ebay I found a refurb pioneer
DEH-P860MP

going for pretty cheap (compared to what it was retail a year or two back), might just go for that

6.5 V pre outs... yais

1 - 9 of 9 Posts