Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2000 Focus with an automatic that has run like a dog since she bought it (salvage-titled) with 9000 miles on it. It just accelerates like it has an extra 1000 lbs. in it. I've driven many Focus rentals, so I know this is not normal. We don't have much money and don't want to have the dealer take advantage of us, but does anyone have any idea what it could be??? It seems to me I remember she got a re-call notice about the fuel pump or something years ago, but this car just runs SLOW!

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
puff man. It could be a lot of stuff. does the car have the engine light on in the dashboard? I would start checking when was the fuel filter last replaced, if there are no vacuum leaks...

If the car doesn't have engine light on, then I would start checking cylinder compression, wire plugs, spark plugs, fuel pressure...

Hope it helps

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
i miss my dirtbrown kona ):

anyways did she get the fuel pump replaced? any CEL? could me something very minor you never know

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
there was a recall on the pump for early 2000 something models "after turning right the car dies." thats basically what it was about. if she didnt do the pump she better do itbefore it gets any more miles on it.

as for running like crap...check the egr system. it doesnt always throw a cel but it will keep you from accelerating the way you want to. and also do a compression check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for replies guys.. this actually got posted twice, and I got very similar advice on the other post. I've been trying to get her to replace the fuel pump since I first read about it years ago (she bought it five years ago) but she's not as worried about the VW Transporter-like acceleration as I am. It also only gets 25mpg, which seems low to me. I'll also check that EGR, Myfaf... thanks. I'll be using these replies to get her to recognize that this is not normal!

·
Registered
52 Posts
there was a recall on the pump for early 2000 something models "after turning right the car dies." thats basically what it was about. if she didnt do the pump she better do itbefore it gets any more miles on it.

as for running like crap...check the egr system. it doesnt always throw a cel but it will keep you from accelerating the way you want to. and also do a compression check.
X-2.
Mine was running the same. I unplugged the EGR and stuck a golf tee in the vacuum line and it made a world of difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts