Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought the CFM torque strut motor mount but I can't for the life of me get the vertical bolt out. It seems that when i turn the bolt, the rubber bushing turns in the mount. I have soaked it in liquid wrench, tried a breaker bar on a socket wrench, used an impact gun, heated it, and nothing works. Anybody run in to this problem or have any suggestions on how to remove the bolt?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Your bolt is "frozen" in the sleeve by rust...

Buy a new bolt, then cut out the old part with whatever tools are avail. to you.

It's a common issue, seen on the Focus most often in the rear control arms....

luck!

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
CFM didn't come with upgraded bolts? you will not want average quality bolts, you want automotive quality, like grade 10.

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, just the mount, are they supposed to? Also what is the best way to cut the bolt? I am not sure what i can get in between bracket and the mount? Thanks again.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Thanks, what size bolt is that, or ford part number? Is it one I can get from a hardware store?

I"m looking in my Haynes manual for the proper size bolt and it doesn't say what size they are .

But it does have this in a NOTE the mounting securing nuts are self locking , and must therefore be replaced whenever they have been removed .

Also states that you need to mark where how the mount came out so you'll be able to put the new 1 back in the exact place and torque to specs .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I guess I'll head to the ford dealership on lunch and see if they have the bolt. I looked on fordparts.com but can't seem to locate that mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it fully threaded? And thank you for finding it, do you have the part number for it or where did you look to find the part?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it fully threaded? And thank you for finding it, do you have the part number for it or where did you look to find the part?
I am a Ford/Lincoln parts pro and pulled from our catalog. Not fully threaded is my thought but dont have an illustated view to tell for sure. You're welcome!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Careful on the vertical bolt. If use too long of a bolt it will go right into the rack housing (the horizontal bolt would be too long).

Also, I thought the nut on the vertical was welded to the cross member - top side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I'll make sure i get a m10x70. The nut is welded, but when attempting to remove the bolt, the nut broke free. The whole assembly was pretty corroded from wisconsin winters. I figure i can just put a hardened steel nut with a lock washer and be good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the bolt out? I dont know what kind of tool to use to get in that small of an area?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There might be enough room in between there to get a reciprocating saw blade, metal cutting blade obviously.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If you have access to air tools. A high speed cut off wheel on an angle die grinder works pretty well. Mine did the same . I cut the head off. Then had to loosen the rack. And used a punch and a bfh. Big Fn hammer. Once that steel bushing rusts to the bolt, and then twists the rubber loose its a mother to get out. If you have to cut the dog bone in half. Get midevil on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Thanks everyone for your advice!! I ended up cutting the dogbone to pieces with a fein multitool, then cut the bolt into pieces with a sawzall, then drilled the bolt out. I thought that would be the end of the trouble but then the new dogbone wouldn't fit into the tranny mount, so I had to take a little off of the metal bushing and finally got it in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Broke my bolt trying to remove my dead dogbone...I could never find a way to remove the top nut without removing the steering rack. I'll give this a try.

Thanks Ford for lubricating bolts with rust!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, the top nut is definitely welded on, I just drilled the bolt out with a little bit smaller bit so that i did not ruin the threading on the nut, also i tapped it before the new bolt went in. I dont know if this was a good idea but to make sure it did not fuse to the bushing again, I spread a little bit of energy suspension pre-lube in the bushing. I'm hoping that this doesn't cause the bolt to come loose. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is a long shit but any one know what size the bolt that gos in the tranny on the dog bone is just got this car nit long ago and was driving the other day and the bolt snaped off and took out the cv axle and right motor mount i can get the bolt out but need a new one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts