Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked these up from Energy Suspension instead of cfm. They have a lip around both inserts so you dont have to glue them in like the how to says, but the inserts were not only a pain to get in, but it took a lot of finagling to get the mount back in also. Since they have a lip its wider and didnt want to fit, but I think it will make it a lot stiffer. I'll update after i go for a drive. Here are some pics:

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
I picked these up from Energy Suspension instead of cfm. They have a lip around both inserts so you dont have to glue them in like the how to says, but the inserts were not only a pain to get in, but it took a lot of finagling to get the mount back in also. Since they have a lip its wider and didnt want to fit, but I think it will make it a lot stiffer. I'll update after i go for a drive. Here are some pics:

Uh, pics didn't work. Try registering an account on www.photobucket.com to get the pictures to work on here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yep pics not here.

I did that recently too. How did you get the old bushings out? I had to use a crazy huge press at work. I had to fab pieces of metal to make the press push where I needed it to.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry. It worked in the preview.

I drove to work and home today and wow! These are awesome compared to the factory. No more jerking after every shift.

I got them out at work. Used two pieces of scrap metal tubing. One to sit the mount on then another to hammer it out with.

Here are the pics:

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh and the whole car vibrates at idle. Once I am over 1000 rpms its fine. I talked to my buddy Robbie aka Sn4ckM4st3r (if you remember him) and he said they just need a little break in time.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
lol You've removed what the dogbone was supposed to do in the first place. The motor mounts are designed from the factory to reduce the vibration carried onto the vehicle as well as hold up the motor. When you went from the rubber bushing to the polyurethane bushing you removed that quality aspect from the dogbone by stiffening up the engine mount so you will feel motor vibrations in the steering wheel. If you had done all three motor mounts you will definately be feeling it a lot more.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I realize that, but I know it wasn't supposed to be that bad. It has cleared up a lot already.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wonder if it really gets better, or do you just get used to it. I suspect that you get used to the new feel and it seems more normal.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Negative. My whole steering column, license plate and wipers were bouncing. Trust me, its better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know this thread is old but I just did the energy inserts this weekend along with drivers and passenger mounts. What a pain getting the dog bone done without a vise. Cut the old ones out and got the inserts in with a rubber mallet and some swearing.
Anyway drives awesome but I sure hope the vibrations do settle down. It's not bad at idle but when starting the car or engaging the clutch to pull away from a stop its like the dash and rear lift gate are going to rattle off. I do a lot of stop and go commuting so a bit frustrating as is. The difference in engine movement is incredible though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
lol You've removed what the dogbone was supposed to do in the first place. When you went from the rubber bushing to the polyurethane bushing you removed that quality aspect from the dogbone by stiffening up the engine mount so you will feel motor vibrations in the steering wheel.
So are you saying that going with poly mount inserts that there is a reduction in vibration control? Being as this thread is from '09- there are several newer threads here with ppl swearing poly is the way to go. Was there a change or what?

I am asking cause I have a OEM dogbone that I have out and are planning to get inserts for it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lol I had only seen good statements about it before I did it.

It is the way to go provided you are willing to put up with vibrations in trade for performance. My a/c doesn't work so it doesn't matter but people say the vibrations are substantial with a/c on.

I will report back in a week with an update after it settles in.
If I didn't spend so much time in stop and go traffic I wouldn't mind at all.

If you haven't bought inserts yet maybe there is info on which brand is softest for less vibes..

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
So are you saying that going with poly mount inserts that there is a reduction in vibration control? Being as this thread is from '09- there are several newer threads here with ppl swearing poly is the way to go. Was there a change or what?

I am asking cause I have a OEM dogbone that I have out and are planning to get inserts for it.
I never said anything negative about the poly mounts. I have always gone with poly mounts in the past and I have VF Engineering mounts on my Focus now, so I have always known what to expect. But if you are expecting it to remain a stock feeling, you are going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
And if you search this forum, you'll find post after post about people installing poly mounts then being unhappy with the vibrations and/or having them fail within a year, and switching back to OEMs.
So my take is if you want performance above all else, go poly; if you want comfort, go OEM.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I never said anything negative about the poly mounts. I have always gone with poly mounts in the past and I have VF Engineering mounts on my Focus now, so I have always known what to expect. But if you are expecting it to remain a stock feeling, you are going to be disappointed.
Ah. Well, I bought a dogbone mount as I thought I needed, (it was the engine mount I needed) but ended up getting all new mounts from rockauto just to have all new mounts.. As I have the OEM dogbone, I have pressed out the old inserts and will purchasing new ones so that I can push them into the OEM dogbone so that when (if) the one I bought goes out, I will be ready. Just need to get nice trans/engine mounts for when (if) the ones i have now do go out. I am interested in improving my car so I have high hopes.

Got to looking but cannot find VF bushings, just the whole mount. :/ Eh, when I get the money I will get it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So it seems to have broken in and the vibes are more tolerable. No longer seems like parts are going to rattle off lol. Still a bit annoying in heavy traffic but not as bad as it was at first.

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
I put Prothane in mine and loved the way it felt under acceleration, but at idle, holy crap. They came out 2 months later. They never did settle down. That is in a 2.3 if it matters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
poly mounts

in all honesty i would never go with the poly inserts 1) oe dogbone was never meant for them the increased stress of poly mounts (do to the increase in thickness) can cause them to wear out prematurely. 2) if u don't grease the poly inserts when installing (nobody ever does) the mount cant move like they're designed to (yes there are supposed to move just not much) and will fail.

fswerks has the vf replacement mounts all poly that are the best option in m opinion for decreased movement but yes they will rattle you to death. if you cant handle this just go oem.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the record, I had those in for a little over 3 years and loved them. Yes they do need time to break in and it won't ever be as smooth as stock again, but its not that bad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I installed all three poly mounts at the same time, VF engine/transaxle mount and CFM dogbone with street bushing. When I was about to turn the car on for the first time, judging by people's descriptions of the vibrations, I was preparing myself for a 9.8 earthquake; what I got was a massage chair. I dunno what the deal is but IMO people severely over exaggerate the vibrations, even at idle. I can't tell if the mounts "broke in" and softened up, or if I just got used to the vibration, which wasn't even bad at all to begin with, but now I don't even notice or care about it, even when my engine drops <1K at idle.

This mod is designed for race cars, if you're not the "race car" kind of person then replacing engine mounts with poly ones isn't really something you should be doing. Personally, I love it, because RALLY CAR! [burnout]

All that being said, almost my entire interior rattles now because it's a piece of crap, my A/C doesn't work and therefore I never use it, and I have a manual transmission. I'll be removing the entire A/C system as well as finishing my interior strip job whenever I get around to it. If you have an automatic, run the A/C all the time, and value luxuries, then this mod is definitely not for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts