Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just received my new thermostat for the zetec and noticed this gap along where the two parts bolt together. Is it supposed to be like this? If not, is it usable like this?

I've already tried taking it apart and re-seating it. It's just the one part. Second image shows it's tight the rest of the way around.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like it may be defective but i'm not sure since I haven't had to replace mine before. I would return it for a new one either way since it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
17,335 Posts
Absolutely junk, deformed at the worst possible location there, it will leak with a gap less than half that wide. BTDT. That's the location of the notch and missing bolt Ford was so gracious about re-engineering to fail the parts faster, it can leak even with both parts new there, BTDT too. The cover warps to drop off squeeze because of the idiot induced notch, seen leaks with only .010" gap there before. Closer to .050"-.060" there. Don't even bother to install it, you WILL be removing it again.

Front cover at this point looks OK, the stat main housing is ruined there. What happens when people overtighten a part that was not intended to have a high torque to begin with. Once you pull the bolt/screw up to hit solid no amount of overtightening in the universe will correct a leak there, rather it just warps the part like that to make it leak worse.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh damnit I knew it. What are the chances of me ordering another one with the exact same defect? Anyone get a good housing from the Dorman combo housing-thermostat?

·
Registered
17,335 Posts
That's gotta be a return, and odds low of next one being like it. I personally wouldn't give five cents for Dorman branded part, the Motorcraft will be low quality as well. They all are after that engineering defect. '98+ Contour housing is much more bulletproof than that part, the old design that is rock solid.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been to four different autozone / advance auto's now and they're all exactly like that...fffffffffffff[:(!]

·
Registered
17,335 Posts
Wow, I was failing to account for the fullness of the widespread incompetence there I guess...........

Crush till a solid hit sealing has been out there for 30 years now but you can't make up for a lack of a high school education.........or tighten it till you break it.

The auto parts places have empowered infinitely greater amounts of that as well with their totally retarded lifetime warranty policies that are not locked into reality at all. Why I quit the parts business, they were losing so much due to DIYer incompetence that they had to increase pricing almost every single week to maintain any sort of equilibrium. You can't get a raise for spit once the company gives all the profits to idiots who can't turn a bolt correctly then come crying to the store about 'bad parts'. Virtually every part I looked close at was either in perfect shape (wrong part picked out as the problem) or broken due to stupidity. Manufacturing quality usually had nothing to do with it. (Did any of you catch that, the CHINESE are now smarter than US) The biggest whopper of a problem the industry faces, they have no balls to contain it so your prices increase by the second. Only losers now buy over the counter, you are paying way, WAY too much in most cases. I got 40% off employee discount and that doesn't touch like Rock Auto now where often you can save up to 60% vs. OTC. Sometimes more. The manager used to get mad when I told her how much I saved by going online, she said I was not 'loyal' to the company. Pretty damn funny at the poverty wages they paid.

Take a popular part that is easy to break like certain water pumps with thin areas on one end of the casting to break easy and we used to scour the different stores trying to find one that was not broken in the box or missing parts. Sometimes all 20 or so stores had a bad part in their store, they just didn't know it until that search happened. They then shipped them all back to vendor claiming vendor screwed them up and why the vendors are now so upset with the chains, a real hate relationship forming there. Several times the vendors threatened to refuse all cores/rejects coming back unless the prices were allowed to go up. We got lots of damaged parts from the distribution warehouse as brand new when store employees hid the damage by putting back in box as good after customer railed on them when asked if he broke the part putting it on. Of course they don't, they NEVER do and the biggest lie I heard all day long.

Sorry for the rant..................a check.............if you run across another bad housing look closely inside the bolt holes, there will be threads cut if the part has been preinstalled before you to damage it. If no thread cuts then it's a plastic part, it could be manufacturing error, an injection molded part and popping the molds apart too quick before enough mold cooling occurs will warp a part like that. Any sliding mold there could be dragging too. As you can see I got damn good at determining where the problem lay, what with all the people coming in and claiming bad parts all day long. You got to where you could verify it one way or the other in maybe 70% of the situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts