Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that snow really piles up on the rear of my 14 hatch back

Curious if anyone is running a ST (or ST style spoiler) in the snow and if the spoiler causes an air wash over the rear glass and if it prevents snow from building up

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's the problem with one that works for aerodynamics, breaks the flow clean off the rear.

ST with the holes should actually be better, some burble through them can wipe the rear a little.

Chassis isn't a great fit for looks to answer this, want it in the ST section?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here ya go, we'll see what the ST folks have to say.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do not know what the question is? Are you asking if "Going 150mph, in the snow, does the spoiler still work?" I would say if the spoiler is covered in snow while you are going 150mph, you have some rather unusual snow.. It must be ice stuck on there.. Most snow would blow off at 150mph.[hihi]

Or. if you are asking if the spoiler is there to 'keep the rear of the hatch clean'.
I am pretty certain the spoiler is not going to matter much for keeping the rear of the hatch clean. Though I have to admit the ST spoiler does seem to keep the hatch back slightly less full of crud the Focus MK3 hatch seems to suck up and place on the rear of the hatch as if by magic.
And yes I bet it is the holes in the spoiler which slightly mitigate the 'back of hatch full of crud' effect.

So if you drive and your ST spoiler holes are packed full of snow, Expect MORE crud on your rear end than with free flowing holes..
(though personally, if the snow is so deep you have plugged up spoiler holes.. Then the streets are also full of snow, and the spoiler is the last of your worries...
Generally with the streets full of snow.. the wheel wells are the topic of 'How full can they get? and how much does that weigh? And "does an additional 200 lbs of snow stuck on my car.. cut my gas mileage? And finally: "Does having a foot thick slice of snow carefully balanced on the roof lessen my aerodynamics while traveling at 150mph.. in the snow?" [hihi]

If I am being evil, it is all due to the temps outside being 5F and snow everywhere.. And no, I do not usually drive at 150mph in blizzards. At least not in school zones with children present...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elizabeth
I get the cold and miserable feeling, do you need a hug? LOL
I have seen very few sunny days in the last month [mecry]

My 2014 HB is an "S" , no holes in the spoiler
The snow at highway speed builds up on the licence plate and bumper really bad
It gets to the point that the back up sensors dont work and the licence plate is blocked

Curious if it is worth the money to change out the spoiler to an ST style or if its will be the same crap

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Elizabeth
I get the cold and miserable feeling, do you need a hug? LOL
I have seen very few sunny days in the last month [mecry]

My 2014 HB is an "S" , no holes in the spoiler
The snow at highway speed builds up on the licence plate and bumper really bad
It gets to the point that the back up sensors dont work and the licence plate is blocked

Curious if it is worth the money to change out the spoiler to an ST style or if its will be the same crap
I keep my Cars very clean, and usually wash them off if they get a little dirty (I have indoor heated luxury parking) So I can rinse the car off anytime. So I cannot say if my ST would 'fill up' with as much dirt as my (previous) SE (I owned the SE for over three years, the ST is only two months old)
The SE hatch area would fill up pretty fast with crud. But due to my cleaning ability, even in the worst weather, I really never got the SE to the point of obscured license plate..Though most other cars around here by this point on Winter DO have so much crud on them no one can read the rear plate.
SO... I would call it a 'all car Winter effect' rather than a specific to Ford Focus MK3 hatch effect.

On the other hand the rear of the Focus MK3 hatch DOES have an amazing ability to attract all the crud from far and wide in the Universe, and plaster it onto the rear of the Focus hatch. Probably some perverse offshoot of the 'Kammback' effect at work [:(!]

As for changing yours to an ST type? I do not know well enough. Anything I would say is a wild guess.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
the back area of a hatchback is a large low pressure zone.
while driving there just isnt time enough for the air above the car to rush back into that area. thats why you get all sorts of eddies and vortices that bring crud up onto the back.

to get "clean" air into this area you either need to trip the air flow (imagine a small vertical spoiler ahead of the trailing edge of the hatch), or force the air down there with a reversed spoiler (sitting above the roof, and angled down to direct the air). both would be detrimental to fuel economy.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,216 Posts
the back area of a hatchback is a large low pressure zone.
while driving there just isnt time enough for the air above the car to rush back into that area. thats why you get all sorts of eddies and vortices that bring crud up onto the back.

to get "clean" air into this area you either need to trip the air flow (imagine a small vertical spoiler ahead of the trailing edge of the hatch), or force the air down there with a reversed spoiler (sitting above the roof, and angled down to direct the air). both would be detrimental to fuel economy.
My 99 Explorer has one of those aftermarket angled down spoilers and for years I thought it was for looks. Then one snowy night I noticed that snow and water was shooting straight down the glass on the highway. I was like WTF until I remembered the spoiler was there. The rear wiper never worked, I guess that's why the previous owner got the spoiler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My experience so far with the ST spoiler and snowy or rainy weather is this: the window stays dirty. The openings in the spoiler push some air down over the sides of the rear window and allows them to stay somewhat clear, but the middle ( crucial for actual rear visibility ) stays full of snow or rain. I think stuff blows down through the holes, and then collects on the middle of the rear window. ...but that gives me incentive to use the rear wiper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts