Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
here is some good info on what you are talking about.
No it does not have drive-by-wire steering, but it does have a drive-by-wire throttle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire

Trust me it is over rated IMO. You loose road feedback with all that electronic mumbojumbo.

The focus however does have Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (EHPAS). That means the steering is not powered by a belt from the engine, but its own electric motor. This means that there is less load on the engine so you get better fuel economy and a few more horses. COOL!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I disagree... I mean, sure, for someone who just drives around town or back and forth to work, it'd be fine, but I like to FEEL the road while I drive. I like to feel the vibrations and the angle of steering and all that stuff. Most DRIVERS would agree, but it's not for everyone. I just don't like driving a car that doesn't feel like it's in my control.

Good concept though, I'm a need to drive one with that in there....

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
nope. the vw's have it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sort of does not even feel like it has power steering. My arms are sore from driving it. My old dodge Neon drove so much easier than this focus.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
lol Still looking for a way to make it easier eh?

Just curious if you've checked tire pressure lately? It does affect steering resistance some.
Have you been able to drive a different Focus yet to see if there is any difference?

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I wish I didn't have power steering so I could just bolt on a quick response steering.

·
Registered
305 Posts
drive by wire steering would be nice!
it would be like playing a racing game with no feed back.
imo you need to have good feedback/response from the car, like using more senses to drive....if you like to corner and esp AX.

i read a few years ago that the prius had a malfunction and the electric steering would lock up in mid turn and slam the car into what ever.

it would just be another part to malfunction/fry and end up costing you more$$$

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
How you view "drive-by-wire" steering seems to depend on your objective: enthusiasts tend to dislike it because it typically feels overboosted and lacks communication with the road; point-A to point-B drivers don't care about feeling the road, they like the easy steering. The Focus started life as a sort of "enthusiasts economy car" so although it has gotten softer, it still traces its roots more to an enthusiast perspective on steering, handling, and braking.

·
Registered
305 Posts
true^
ive driven a friends car(dont recall what kind) but i constantly veered off due to the lack of feeling in the wheel, it was really light/soft
although its personal preference if Ford were to ever offer it i would hope it to be an option cause that system bugs me.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Does the 2009 ford Focus have electronic steering like the corolla and the sentra and all the other compact cars?
I guess everybody just does not know or is dodging the question.

I am not sure if it is model or package specific, but yes the 08s and 09s do have a form of electronic steering. My 08 coupe SES has "electronic assist power steering"

I would think this is not a full electronic steering, but as it implies - electronic assist.

·
Registered
689 Posts
it will never be completely drive by wire altho the main part will be in years to come ...

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I guess everybody just does not know or is dodging the question.
Actually someone did answer the question, on the first page:

The focus however does have Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (EHPAS). That means the steering is not powered by a belt from the engine, but its own electric motor. This means that there is less load on the engine so you get better fuel economy and a few more horses. COOL!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
It sort of does not even feel like it has power steering. My arms are sore from driving it. My old dodge Neon drove so much easier than this focus.
I second what was said earlier in this post and your previous one. Go to a dealership and test drive another Focus. Comparing to your old Neon doesn't do anything to determine if something is wrong. The two cars are tuned to handle differently. For me, I prefer tighter steering.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The focus however does have Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (EHPAS). That means the steering is not powered by a belt from the engine, but its own electric motor.
Wait, but this is true only for 2008+ right? My 2007 has a conventional belt-driven hydraulic power steering. You can easily tell which kind it is in your car by looking at the serpentine belt routing diagrams in the manual. If there is a PS pulley then it's hydraulic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts