Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ask does the 2012 'regular' spare tire also have a TPMS sensor in it?
does the 'full size' spare?

·
Registered
291 Posts
[dunno][dunno][dunno]
So I ask does the 2012 'regular' spare tire also have a TPMS sensor in it?
does the 'full size' spare?
The regular spair does not have a sensor, but the car's sensor will be activited as long as it is on you vehicle as a reminder that it is a tempory tire to be changed ASAP. THe full size tire should have a sensor with it.[dunno]

·
Registered
425 Posts
The full size spare does not have a tpms sensor either. I do laugh at the fact that my full-size spare still says it's for temporary use only, despite it being a real, full tread tire. It's the same as what you get on the 16's on the SE, a contipro contact, but just mounted on a steel rim.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had some similar questions ...

First off - I thought you only got the full-size spare with the 18-inch rims with the Titanium Handling package and I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that it didn't have a TPMS sensor, but I didn't notice that it was a steel rim.

Anyway - I was thinking of getting a Titanium with the polished 17-inch rims and picking up an extra rim and tire so it would have a full-size spare.

Questions:

• If the spare tire well can handle an 18-inch rim, I assume a 17-inch would fit wthout problems.
  • I'm assuming I'd want to have a TPMS sensor on the new spare and then I wouldn't have to replace it immediately and the factory TPMS controller would be smart enough not to throw an error code b/c there are 5 sensors and one is in the trunk, correct?

Thanks!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I had some similar questions ...

First off - I thought you only got the full-size spare with the 18-inch rims with the Titanium Handling package and I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that it didn't have a TPMS sensor, but I didn't notice that it was a steel rim.

Anyway - I was thinking of getting a Titanium with the polished 17-inch rims and picking up an extra rim and tire so it would have a full-size spare.

Questions:

• If the spare tire well can handle an 18-inch rim, I assume a 17-inch would fit wthout problems.
  • I'm assuming I'd want to have a TPMS sensor on the new spare and then I wouldn't have to replace it immediately and the factory TPMS controller would be smart enough not to throw an error code b/c there are 5 sensors and one is in the trunk, correct?

Thanks!
The dissimilar full size spare is not an 18" wheel but rather a 16" steel wheel and O.E. contiprocontact tire. The nomenclature for full sized spare means its not a temporary duty tire. The outer diameter of the 16" vs the 18" is not significant, but the 18" tires are wider than those of the standard 16" on the SE and SEL.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Learning something new.

Newer questions - Would it be safe to assume a 215/50R17 could fit in the rear tire well and still have the floor lay flat given that the standard "full-size" spare is a 16-inch?

TPMS can only monitor 4-tires, so it would be safe to have TPMS sensors in all 5 tires, correct - I just wouldn't have indication in the dash that the spare was going flat, correct?

·
Registered
882 Posts
The full size spare does not have a tpms sensor either. I do laugh at the fact that my full-size spare still says it's for temporary use only, despite it being a real, full tread tire. It's the same as what you get on the 16's on the SE, a contipro contact, but just mounted on a steel rim.
Well the full-size spare is only rated up to like 55mph or something ridiculous.

I blew out the sidewall of one of my winter tires about a month after buying them...so I definitely made use of the spare for almost a week.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Learning something new.

Newer questions - Would it be safe to assume a 215/50R17 could fit in the rear tire well and still have the floor lay flat given that the standard "full-size" spare is a 16-inch?
In lieu of the 16" spare on the Titanium Handling Package? What would be the point?

If you get a Titanium without the Handling Package and 17s, then you will get the T-spare with the lower load floor. A 17" road wheel will probably fit in the tub (it's really just shallow depression in the floorpan) but it will not fit under the lower load floor. The height of the load floor is dictated by foam inserts that surround the tire. You would need the taller foam inserts from the Titanium Handling Pkg.

What do you really gain? You lose load floor height and are lugging around 18lbs more weight just waiting for a flat tire...

·
Registered
855 Posts
jsr72 - That's what I needed to know.

For reference, I am considering a Titanium without the handling package. I didn't realize the handling package used thicker foam blocks to raise the load floor.

Like everything - it's a trade-off. My 2002 Focus has the donut spare and it's never been on the ground in 123,000 miles. I would have been fine with an inflator kit and no spare, but that wouldn't help if I blew out the sidewall. The donut works fine for a sidewall blowout, but is only designed for 50 miles of max travel to the tire shop to fix the tire - not great if, for example, you are starting an eight-hour road trip when the tire blows out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts