Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting for my new 2012 Focus SEL manual 5 spd and wondering if it will have hill start assist. Seems like there's alot of mixed messaging online about this right now.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Hmm, no sure, powershift equipped foci here in the US have hill assist, Id assume the manual trans would too. Does the full list of features and options on fords site say at all? You know when your comparing different cars or models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
contacted Ford dealership directly. Here's the response:

"I just received your question regarding the Focus. Hill assist is not available with the 5 speed manual transmission. It is only available with the power shift and select shift transmissions (automatic). This applies to the Fiesta as well."

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
An automatic that needs a hill assist....

Man,driving skills have dropped drastically over the years.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
im with mjd, why would an automatic need hill start assist?

my only reasoning is that this transmission doesnt have an idle so it would roll back on steep hills and freak out Gertrude or Phyllis....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
People need to read up on the difference between a traditional automatic transmission versus dual clutch transmission.
The answer will be forth coming on why hill start assist is necessary with dual clutch transmissions.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
ive been driving a manual for years and HSA is a feature i would appreciate. doesnt mean anyone is a bad driver, just means that its a feature that i and others wouldnt mind seeing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
People need to read up on the difference between a traditional automatic transmission versus dual clutch transmission.
The answer will be forth coming on why hill start assist is necessary with dual clutch transmissions.
break it down....................

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ya, I wouldn't say HSA is 'necessary'. I'd say it's just another active feature.
For a mainstream vehicle I'd say HSA is necessary.
IMO dual clutch transmissions are a big risk offering them to North American mainstream automobile customers. With so few ever driving a manual transmission, the characteristics of dual clutch transmission being quite different to what North Americans are used to in the usual automatic transmissions characteristics, I am not surprised with so many complaining about the odd behaviour they are experiencing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
IMO dual clutch transmissions are a big risk offering them to North American mainstream automobile customers. With so few ever driving a manual transmission, the characteristics of dual clutch transmission being quite different to what North Americans are used to in the usual automatic transmissions characteristics, I am not surprised with so many complaining about the odd behaviour they are experiencing.
Every year I am seeing less and less offerings with a manual transmission, and I am afraid that by the time my 3 year old is old enough to drive, there won't be manual transmissions available at all! (OK, maybe a bit of a stretch).

I love that when I am in Europe I can rent a sporty type of car and actually get a manual transmission in it. Someone show me where you can rent a manual transmission car here in North America (apart from renting high end sports cars).

If everyone knew how to PROPERLY drive a manual transmission we wouldn't need hill assist on any type of transmission. Also, people would better understand these dual clutch transmissions. I'll admit that I have more experience than the average person as I learned to drive on a manual, took my road tests in a manual, took my truck drivers test in a manual (still can't believe that they have automatic trucks now), drove truck for 9 years. Driven motorcycles since I was 20 (I'm 33 now).

The biggest thing that people are missing about the dual clutch transmission is this:
It works like a manual transmission, but is an automatic. It IS NOT an automatic transmission with the ability to gear select (which is what people think it is).

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm a (formerly) exclusive stick driver who just bought a DCT Focus... I appreciate the hill holder brake. I'm good at stick and rollback wasn't an issue for me, but little features like that make a car nicer.

Sorta like Skippy up there, I have my bus licence, and I did my road test for that in an old 7-speed manual coach bus. I wish those things had a hill-holder brake :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya, maybe you're right. HSA could have maybe been called LSP (law suit preventor).

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
If everyone knew how to PROPERLY drive a manual transmission we wouldn't need hill assist on any type of transmission.[/B]
This sums it up in a nutshell.

My 1st car was a 1982 Subaru 1800 GL 4WD station wagon with a 4-spd manual(my late father trained me on driving a stick shift-and I've been doing it ever since). And back then Subaru had a hill assist option on most of their lineup(anyone remember the "Hill Holder Clutch")-my Subie didn't have it though,but I didn't need it.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile With a manual trans doesnt holding in your clutch help stop your car from rolling back? So even after you release the brake the car still holds for a second? Anyway the powershift dct has no way of holding the clutch. Also there is no tq converter to lock and stop the car from rolling backwards. That is why there is a hsa (which only last 3 seconds) on the dct. Would be nice if there was one on the manual, but I assume with the dct there was a simple programming they had to do.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
my response to hill assist is learn to drive.. same with that park assist. why pay $$ for something so easy.

6 puck clutch, 8.5lb flywheel and i can get my car going on really steep hills no problem.

now if i could get my gf to learn a manual ill be golden cause right now i got 2 cars both 5 speeds and she refuses to learn and i refuse to buy an auto. she was very mad when i swapped my 04 from auto to manual.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ya, maybe you're right. HSA could have maybe been called LSP (law suit preventor).
Again, if people just knew how to drive properly, instead of running up everyone's rear end at every light..............

Posted via FF Mobile With a manual trans doesnt holding in your clutch help stop your car from rolling back? So even after you release the brake the car still holds for a second?
Ummmm.........NO! Pushing in the clutch is essentially putting your car in neutral. So release your brakes, and away you roll!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts