Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Just bought a Zx3 with the 2.3l Duratec motor, has 120k miles but runs well and I'm happy with it so far. I was gathering more info about the motor to get to know it better and I had read that the Duratec motors have an issue where these swirl inlet flaps can fail and basically ruin the motor?

Does this specific Focus with the 2.3l Duratec engine have this flaw? If so, I guess I wish I had done more research before buying this car.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally don’t know, but I have the 2.0 duratec with 335,000 miles and the ticking I have is very loud and it’s from the intake manifold. In reality, it’s not the biggest concern in the world. If you’re worried about it, I would replace the manifold or even take the manifold off and delete the flaps

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hello v_enezx3,
The 2.3 engine has two sets of intake manifold flaps called IMTV and IMRC. The IMTV is unique to the 2.3 engine. The 2.0 engine has only IMRC flaps.
Please do not worry about either IMRC or IMTV failing in a way that would break-off a piece of the flaps and then destroy your engine. This type of failure has occurred, but the chances of this happening to you are extremely rare; almost 1 in a million. Most of the deadly failures occurred in Europe with a similar design. Most or All older 2.3 engines make the rattle-sound with IMRC/IMTV flap noises. These rattle noises are annoying and are very concerning to me too,... -but are also normal. I have the same 2.3 engine & the same IMTV/IMRC noise problems.

Replacing the old & noisy intake manifold is the wise choice Or is the paranoid choice, but it is not needed because of this noise. Intake manifold replacement is mostly needed to resolve your worry... and it would lessen some of those noises, and would also lessen some of your worry.

The 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec engines are very reliable and most can live a very-very long life if maintained properly.

Congrats on your new old car. Please perform some basic maintenance on the engine, engine accessories, brakes, tires, and some general TLC. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts