Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Ive recently moved really close to my work, literally less than 2 miles from it, and I found that my car has some eco mode I can use (the flower pedals), but I dont see a way to enable it. Does anyone know about this or if its disabled in my car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
it just basically fills in the pedals based on your acceleration and braking habits. Not really anything to enable. If you drive like a granny then ecomode is active

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's always "on". The pedals show how well you are driving to achieve maximum MPG. I guess you could say that shifting into "S" mode would be like disabling the Eco mode on other cars, since it changes the shift points and down shifts gears for you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's more of a eco monitor than a mode. The car watches your driving pattern and shows you if you are being efficient. You can get to the pedal screen by pressing right on the pad while you are on the average mileage screen.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
You'll probably never see any petals if you drive only 2 miles for the most part. Also expect a "50% cold trips" message to pop up if it's cold out and you rarely let the car fully warm up. It appears when at least 50% of your trips have not fully warmed the engine.

You might see the speed petals if you keep it under 65 mph, but the acceleration ones will likely never fill.

Not that it really matters...they have zero bearing on your actual fuel economy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't even see the petals light up when watching them.
They don't really light up in any kind of timely fashion, they are more of a rolling average for the last I don't know how much driving. The only solid thing that I've seen is shifting my manual. If I accelerate hard and shift at the "red line" I will lose a leaf or two almost immediately. If I drive 200 miles without shifting again I will not gain those leaves back until I actually shift nicely another (dozen?) times.

I like it this way because it doesn't give you instant gratification so you think "I drove it like I stole it for the last 300 miles, but thats ok cuz I just got full leaves for 20 seconds".

The bad part is it's more difficult to learn what the car thinks is good behavior.

About the "cold starts", I don't think they have any bearing on the number of leaves as I always have the cold starts warning but I also constantly have full leaves. I just think you may not get the trophy screen. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you want close to "real data" I sometimes use "test" mode while driving. press and hold left "ok" button when starting car ( to exit test mode you have to restart car) test will show in display use left up or down arrows to scroll thru menu until you get to eco mode screen then use left side right or left arrows to change between modes (anticipation, speed, shifting (n/a will show if you have auto) and cold starts ) the closer to 5.00 the more efficiently your driving

·
Registered
58 Posts
The main function of the "eco mode" or button some cars have just "deadens" the response of the drive by wire throttle pedal so that you have to push it harder to get the same acceleration. You could just be very soft of the accelerator for the same effect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts