Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2007 and check engine light P0172 keeps coming on. Is it related to the K&N air intake/filter?

Code is for RICH but if it was related to intake wouldnt it be LEAN???

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Did you google that code?

I put in that code into google and it says a bunch of different things it could be.

A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak.
There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Then it says:
Possible solutions include:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

Make sure you clear the ECU after you some of these thing by pulling the - battery cable for a few seconds to reset it or clear it with the SCT

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
just try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after like 10 minutes. the computer will reset and see if the light goes off. the light came on when i put my air intake on and i had to do that to get it off

·
Registered
259 Posts
your breather hose from the engine is causing the MAF to get dirty --> take off that hose and seal the hole. Leave that hose just like that or make a catch can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your breather hose from the engine is causing the MAF to get dirty --> take off that hose and seal the hole. Leave that hose just like that or make a catch can.
Trying to figure out how this makes sense as that breather is like 3 inches closer to the engine than the MAF meaning any dirt would be drawn into the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It would only cause your light too come on if you forgot too disconnect the ground from the battery before proper install or you didnt hook up the maf correctly.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile I would say if you just put it on and the Maf is in the right direction you may have an air leak. I know when I put mine on the hose clamps they supplied were not big enough for the intake tube to the throttle body causing a small air leak.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im sure people run these intake w/o problem and maybe they can comment but i have heard of K&N filters causing problems with MAFs, though ive heard this mainly from user error...id have to check again.

Though i feel like these 100 intakes are useless especially with no other mods, unless you get it for MPGs, which is still a costly component to increase something like that, hey to each his own

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
K&N is one of the few that have had their intakes emissions tested or something. They comes with these stickers you have to have in some states for it to pass. I think its one of the reasons they cost so much.

I dont know of any others that have this emission code?

There is another benefit to these intakes, They are smaller and less cluttered, placed in a better location for cleaner air and the best part is you can clean them.

The stock OEM air filter is so poor on how it flows the one i took off my car looks like foam from an old couch cushion i swear it doesnt look like very good quality at all. The whole stock setup is heavy and you cant even clean it. Its a non serviceable part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
K&N is one of the few that have had their intakes emissions tested or something. They comes with these stickers you have to have in some states for it to pass. I think its one of the reasons they cost so much.

I dont know of any others that have this emission code?

There is another benefit to these intakes, They are smaller and less cluttered, placed in a better location for cleaner air and the best part is you can clean them.

The stock OEM air filter is so poor on how it flows the one i took off my car looks like foam from an old couch cushion i swear it doesnt look like very good quality at all. The whole stock setup is heavy and you cant even clean it. Its a non serviceable part.
Ah yeah i forgot. Technically you can get in trouble for having parts that are not CARB legal, or something like that. But if you dont get pulled over for something dumb like racing, then cops dont have a real reason to check it out.

My intake is just some autozone cone on the end of the stock tubing, simply hanging there behind the battery. I do want to get a different inake, but still trying to find the one most cost effective

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ah yeah i forgot. Technically you can get in trouble for having parts that are not CARB legal, or something like that. But if you dont get pulled over for something dumb like racing, then cops dont have a real reason to check it out.

My intake is just some autozone cone on the end of the stock tubing, simply hanging there behind the battery. I do want to get a different inake, but still trying to find the one most cost effective
I dont think the cops look at that stuff its the inspection stations in places like california i think that mainly look.

I had a friend with a car he put on the legal K&N CAI thinking his car was all legal but he didnt pass because the sticker wasnt placed on the car to show it was a valid intake system or somthing. He had to go back and actualy put the stick under the hood then come back before it passed.

My point is they are so expensive because they go threw all the testing and legal stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts