Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do gas mpg drop in winter?
because i don think i am getting as good MPG as summer...
if not then it will be my plugs and wire...
but i don think so...
0.060 copper core should run better than a set of 4 rusted plugs.

so do gas mpg drop in winter?

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Yes, the colder air does make your engine do worse on gas.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sigh... good that gas is like 1.97 here...

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
well if im getting shitty gas mileage becauae of it, and by shitty i mean 25mpg city, then i cant wait for summer

just got the caliber, though, been averaging 25 mostly city, woot

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was like... 26mpg with mixed highway and local... maybe more local...
but still...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
IMHO....it's the initial start in the morning that, after a cold over-night soak, burns the most gas. And short trips in cold weather are terrible on MPG, The engine just runs richer till it warms up sufficiently. I'll bet mostly highway driving would give you about the same MPG as in the summer.

If you park in a heated garage, you can avoid much of the MPG drop. I've never tried it, but I'll bet a powerful block heater would help quite a bit..... my 2c.

5,155 Posts
I get noticeably less gas mileage in the winter. I get at least 30, usually 32, in the summer; and 25-26 in the winter. damn winter! [mad]

toeycrack said:
still waiting for our gas to drop to that too... 2.40's here
$2.70 here, and thats the cheapest in the local areas. There are some towns where its still over $3!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
winter...
snow and ice will crash your car...
winter...
cold and colder will waste your gas...

hahaha

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our state changed to 10% ethonal and the news (t.v. and print) didn't say anything. Stickers just showed up on the pump. Ethonal gives me worse milage.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10% is evil...
it has been a while tho...
i really don want to pay 10% over 2.50
i am glad that the gas price is backing down...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Several things will hurt the gas mileage. You're sucking in ambiant air temp, which does a poorer job of vaporizing the fuel, even though winter fuel is designed to vaporize easier than summer gas. Additionally, there is a tendency to warm up the car. Third, all the lubricants are now much thicker, and offer more reisistance to moving the engine parts, and car. I had an AWD Eclipse that if backing out the drive, wouldn/t roll free more than a car length if you put the clutch in. Also, colder air lowers the tire pressure, and you might have missed bring the pressure up. My mileage, which usually is around 30 - 31 in the summer, drops 7-10% in the winter.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I thought colder air made your car run smoother and increased hp.......condsidering the colder the air the bigger the combustion in the cylinders is????

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry got to call bs on that one! Cold air burns beter its scientificaly proven why do u think most turbo application have intercoolers because that extremly hot air from the turbo would barely burn cold air means more efficient power and burnig of the fuel. So i dont think it would bring down mpgs

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but the fact is... my gas mileage drop about 3mpg...
i am starting to feel bad...
haha

well i guess you let the car warm up is a reason as well..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts