Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does flouring your car seriously hurt your engine?

Hey Im 16 and relatively new to dealing with cars. IM quite the little speedster in my car and put it to the floor sometimes but dont want to if it will screw my engine over. Is it alright or should I not flour it at all?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
well being 16 i would suggest learning how to drive and gain the experience of driving first. flooring it will put excessive strain on your engine and transmission.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
cars are made to be floored...[;)]

dont worry...
but if i were you i would floor it anywear but a strip...

its dangerous, and against the law...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know if I'd flour my car ... flooring it every once and a while is ok ... but throwing baking products onto your engine is not advised ;)

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
you should only flour it if you have an oil leak to clean up the mess

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks you guys IM just paranoid about my baby. I dont flour it all the time but with friends you gotta impress. haha

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
PlutoJared22 said:
I don't know if I'd flour my car ... flooring it every once and a while is ok ... but throwing baking products onto your engine is not advised ;)
lol. you plan on making cookies with the enigne bay heat?[giggle]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Just don't get into the habit of flooring it every time you launch or shift (assuming you have a manual.) Doing it occassionally isn't going to do much more than burn some oil off, but doing it every time will make the engine and everything that's connected to it wear out at a faster rate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I good old pedal to teh mat run is ok some times, Helps clean out the carbon build ups. However make sure you pay attention to where you are in teh rpm band and what gear you are in first. Flooring you car at 2k in 5th gear is just plain stupid. It only adds stress to parts that dont need it. Take it up to abotu 3000-3500 in 3rd first then ram'er down. That way you dont load up the motor for ne reason. Oh and make sure its off on some remote road with non one around incase you do something stupid....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i believe that a flooring should be once a day, to keep the motor happy. plus it makes you feel good too

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hmmm... 16 y/o...

yeah man, flooring it is TERRIBLE for your car.
actually this engine is made to only take about 20 runs at wide open throttle.
after that you're at serious risk of blowing your motor, and you don't want that.
so no matter what, try to keep it under 2000 rpms at ALL times.
Oh, and also, this car has a GPS connected to the ECU, so it will always know where you are, and what the speed limit is in that particular place. And it also has an explosive device inside the engine bay installed from the factory. If you ever get to 1 mph over the speed limit the ECU will detonate the explosive device and kill your motor. You seriously don't want that...
Also, the seatbelts have actuators that pull the seatbelt tighter and strangle you near death if you happen to cut someone off, or talk on the phone while driving, or any stuff like that.
Just don't do any stupid shit and you'll have a blast driving your focus. [hihi] [}:)]
welcome to ff.

·
Registered
325 Posts
YES... it is bad for the car. Especially the lifters, unless they are high perfomance, they may collapse. If you want to "blow out" the carbon then drive it on the freeway for a long period of time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
you know i heard some high end cars need to be floored every once in a while to clear out the engine kinda like coughing. i dont know everytime i floor my car it seems to drive better afterwards....lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
it may be interesting to learn how occasionally all you guys/girls floor it :))
for example i drive my focus to floor it [:D]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually it's good to floor your car everyonce in a while....it helps clean out the carbon build up and everything....cars are designed withing a safety limit that you can rev the motor and use all the power reliably...if they didn't do that then cars woulnd't have a rev limiter. Also motors are most *efficient* at wot and high rpms.....by that i mean they burn more all the fuel in the combustion champer and produce less carbon build up. They did a test with NYC taxi's and they found that the ones that were rev'd to redline at least once a day lasted longer and could get better gas mileage than those that didn't. At the end of the test when they disassembled the motors they found a much cleaner engine inside.

·
Registered
325 Posts
focusedintentions said:
Actually it's good to floor your car everyonce in a while....it helps clean out the carbon build up and everything....cars are designed withing a safety limit that you can rev the motor and use all the power reliably...if they didn't do that then cars woulnd't have a rev limiter. Also motors are most *efficient* at wot and high rpms.....by that i mean they burn more all the fuel in the combustion champer and produce less carbon build up. They did a test with NYC taxi's and they found that the ones that were rev'd to redline at least once a day lasted longer and could get better gas mileage than those that didn't. At the end of the test when they disassembled the motors they found a much cleaner engine inside.
Well the rev limiter is to protect you. The car can only go as fast as it can handle. This makes the National Highway safety people happy and meet their standards. Blowing carbon out doesnt make the engine last longer it helpwith mileage. Plus efficiency doesn't even carry past the drivetrain. If you have a heavy foot then your mileage is much lower. The lifters collapse if they rev too high. I have had it happen. Then the higher temps from the heavy driving will destroy the valve seats.
Oh a taxi is a heavy duty version what ever model, and are made to take a taxi beating.

BY ALL MEANS HAVE FUN HOW EVER YOU WANT... TIL IT BREAKS AND YOU START TO SWEAR THE CAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT LIKE A (RACE CAR) I MEAN TAXI.[:p]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Uh..Zetecs don't have lifters.Rev limiter is there to protect the engine from over revving.SO..let it RIP!!!I have been redlining my car from day one using high quality oils and have NEVER had a problem(110k miles and counting).If the motor is tuned right and maintained properly you won't hurt anything.(well mabye your gas mileage...)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts