Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have to disintegrate to a bitch fest about MFT? I haven't been on this forum long, but seriously... what a bunch of cry babies. Sorry to vent, but we all get it, you don't like your MFT, you don't like the problems, you find the release of the system by Ford preposterous. Do you have to completely disregard common forum etiquette though by derailing every thread because you are angry and mad? Essentially stomping your feet and banging your fists on the floor? Is that going to make your MFT work the way you want it to?

Then, you have the ones that like to clutter the forum up with all of their complaints about individual problems. Mellow dramatically insinuating that because they have problems (even simple preferences they don't agree with) that the entire car, manufacturing process, ford motor company, and humanity is a flop.

I expect that an entry level vehicle like this will get a lot of young people, and more so first time new car buyers, but really... time to grow up.

Done. Flame away.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I think people's biggest complaint is having these problems with the what the car costs. They don't take into consideration inflation and the fact that economy cars now cost $20k unless you want a sub compact. I remember my mom buying a brand new 93 Impreza. The sticker was $9000. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree to a point.

They are spending $22K on a car instead of $15K like you would pay on a subcompact and are expecting to get quality fit and finish like they bought a 45K car.

I own a $45K car, and yes its much nicer than the focus. It has had warranty repairs too though, what car doesn't? My BMW had tons of problems that were repaired. I traded it right after the warranty expired and I was having pressure build up in the engine that caused the head gasket and all of the grommets to start leaking oil everywhere. Cause, they used a PVC bleeder stem rather than a metal one, a cost cutting measure.

Point is. I think that we simply have inexperience and heightened expectations on this site due to this car being focused around a younger crowd. Yes, some of you spent $8K more than you would have on a sub-compact. The result is a bigger car and slight upgrades in quality. Lets keep it in the realm of reality is all I am saying.

·
Registered
967 Posts
have to disintegrate to a bitch fest about MFT? I haven't been on this forum long, but seriously... what a bunch of cry babies. Sorry to vent, but we all get it, you don't like your MFT, you don't like the problems, you find the release of the system by Ford preposterous. Do you have to completely disregard common forum etiquette though by derailing every thread because you are angry and mad? Essentially stomping your feet and banging your fists on the floor? Is that going to make your MFT work the way you want it to?

Then, you have the ones that like to clutter the forum up with all of their complaints about individual problems. Mellow dramatically insinuating that because they have problems (even simple preferences they don't agree with) that the entire car, manufacturing process, ford motor company, and humanity is a flop.

I expect that an entry level vehicle like this will get a lot of young people, and more so first time new car buyers, but really... time to grow up.

Done. Flame away.
Amen

·
Registered
712 Posts
I largely agree with the OP. I have no problems with folks posting problems. I have probably posted 5 or 10 comments on MFT problems. However, it was in the context of a direct question or an MFT thread. There are a few posters who just go on and on for months and (as jcarlilesiu put it) "derailing every thread."

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree to a point.

They are spending $22K on a car instead of $15K like you would pay on a subcompact and are expecting to get quality fit and finish like they bought a 45K car.

I own a $45K car, and yes its much nicer than the focus. It has had warranty repairs too though, what car doesn't? My BMW had tons of problems that were repaired. I traded it right after the warranty expired and I was having pressure build up in the engine that caused the head gasket and all of the grommets to start leaking oil everywhere. Cause, they used a PVC bleeder stem rather than a metal one, a cost cutting measure.

Point is. I think that we simply have inexperience and heightened expectations on this site due to this car being focused around a younger crowd. Yes, some of you spent $8K more than you would have on a sub-compact. The result is a bigger car and slight upgrades in quality. Lets keep it in the realm of reality is all I am saying.
I don't have MFT, but just because the Focus isn't a $45k Benz or BMW or whatever doesn't mean people don't expect all the options should work properly. Every car brand has cars that have bugs and need to be taken in. Peoples beef is that they put down $25k and it's not working as advertised. That's why so many people are peeved

·
Registered
277 Posts
We need a stickied MFT thread.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have MFT, but just because the Focus isn't a $45k Benz or BMW or whatever doesn't mean people don't expect all the options shouldn't work properly. Every car brand has cars that have bugs and need to be taken in. Peoples beef is that they put down $25k and it's not working as advertised. That's why so many people are peeved
Other than MFT, what "isn't working" across every single persons car or even a large majority?

My car works fantastic, and with the exception of MFT, I have little issues that are easily resolved.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Done. Flame away.
When I first saw the car I knew I wanted one. Then I thought I should read up on it. Then I decided it was worth the risk of first year (USA Production) model. I know there will be issues, I have read about some of them and STILL I bought it! I am confident the issues will be dealt with and As of now I am VERY happy with my choice. Any issues I will deal with as they come up but I think I won't be upset about it. I'm glad I haven't had the issues others have had. Or I haven't thought they were an issue, just new car quirks.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm just grateful to have a new car, so to gripe about every little thing...wouldn't be worth it. The good over shadows the bad IMO. MFT is rough, but if you use it right (aka not at all...it works perfect!!!! lol). If people aren't happy, they should take their cars back because whining on this forum does what good? Ha, just what I think..

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
676 Posts
This was posted in Autoextremist.com Reader Mail section:

"I would also like to know how many of the "reliability" issues reported have to do with car owners who are technologically challenged; there are a slew of those folks out there. In particular, American males do not seem to read instructions - admittedly many instruction guides are also poorly written - and become frustrated if they cannot figure out how to do something on their own."

"In these days of chip driven devices that is probably not the wisest course. How many of us have simply picked up a new smart phone and known how to work all of its functions straight out of the box?"

·
Registered
187 Posts
The biggest problems I have with sync or MFT are what I feel are quirks.

The MTF seems to have a pecking order of sources. When I turn the car off I normally tune to the FM NPR radio station, even though I normally listen to recorded books on my IPod through the USB connection. When I start the car it is tuned to the FM radio, after a minute or so it changes to the IPod recorded book. This happens to be what I want, but I haven't done anything I know of to cause this.

Another quirk is the system is slow, you have to wait for it to perform a function, getting impatient and pushing more buttons just confuses the little darlin'. I have found that speed spoils. I started with an IBM mag card word processor. The IBM selectric typewriter it used would just fly, after a time it seem to take forever to print a page. Then came dot matrix and daisywheel printers they seem fast at first then, not so fast. So on to laser printers. Just because MTF does not provide instant gratification doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

I have used the IPod through the USB port, an 8 GB flash drive I keep in the other USB port, watched TV shows on the dashboard screen and listened to a recorded book and Pandora by bluetooth from my smart phone. I have even set up the WiFi hub with my 3G wireless broadband dongle. They all worked fine. Sometime you have to hold your mouth just right, but that is true for everything.

Remember one of the fundamental truths of life and things will go well for you to: "Never let a machine know you are in a hurry."

I love my Focus, I like all of the high tech features, and enjoy driving it. Even the quirks give it personality.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I like MFT. Quirks, yes, but so far just quirks (for me at least). I got a lot of help from people on this forum, specifically with regards to music and voice commands that I was unable to initially get working, and there was some good back-and-forth sharing of info as people experimented with different things.

As of now, music voice commands work fine, Nav works fine, Bluetooth music streaming/phone works fine, etc.

I love being able to change music via voice. I love being able to set destinations via voice, I love being able to call people via voice. I have never pulled a fuse, I have never seen "Performing scheduled maintenance", I only did one master reset and that is because Ford's Sync tech services told me to. Didn't solve my problem in the least, information from this forum and other posters here helped me figure it out.

I agree that if people want to just bash on it they should not bother posting but I would also not want to discourage anyone who is having a problem or needs help and is seeking a legitimate solution from posting. I know what I learned in the beginning both from my own toying around and from others on here and if someone else is new to it and needs help I know I am happy offer something if I can to save them a little headache (as I am sure are a lot of others on here).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ford guy in the market, but waiting for the ST next summer. I'm hoping the bugs are worked out by then. I gotta take notice though that according to the article below, Ford has taken a tumble in consumer reports.

http://www.qualitymag.com/Articles/Industry_Headlines/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000001120495
Consumer reports are reports provided by consumer data.

For that reason, and that reason alone, the data is illogical.

Some person can't figure out how to set up their cell phone, so they market is as one star and non-functional. Is it really? Because consumer reports doesn't discriminate.

I can say, after driving multiple luxury vehicles as well as many rental cars, the focus is built solid and of decent quality.

Whatever, you know what. Haters are gonna hate. Bitchers are gonna bitch. and douchebaggery will prevail.

I have had minor issues with my car. I am not a fanboy. I however am objective.

·
Registered
800 Posts
One thing we all have in common, we bought the car! (well, most of us!) Let's agree to disagree before the moderator shuts us down (again).

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
If Y'all can't play nice, I'm gonna have to start handing out infractions and giving certain folks some time off of FF to think about what it means to interact with other Humans.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
Ok I cleaned up all the bashing between a few folks, and the comments that did not belong.

I did reopen this topic.

Keep it clean and with in the "Forum Rules".....This is the only warning.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
... When I start the car it is tuned to the FM radio, after a minute or so it changes to the IPod recorded book. This happens to be what I want, but I haven't done anything I know of to cause this.
Once the USB has been detected by the system, it automatically switch to it. This is why you have radio for a 1 minute or so and then changes to USB.
I saw this behavior in my car also, too and I kinda like it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once the USB has been detected by the system, it automatically switch to it. This is why you have radio for 1 minute and then changes to USB.
I saw this behavior in my car also, too.
It does that with bluetooth too I think if you have the "start playback immediately upon connection" button selected.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts