Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from people well versed in the "body shop" world.

Here is my situation. About a year ago (maybe a little longer), I had an untimely encounter with a retaing wall at the track that required me to replace the right front fender and the front bumper.

So, during that time, I've been driving with a primer balck bumper and right front fender.

I am tired of looking like a patch work.

However, every body shop I've contacted wants at LEAST $600 to pain the PARTS !!

Given this will be a track car - eventually (I have another daily driver) I want to operate on the "20 foot rule".

If the car looks good from 20 feet away, then I am not as concerned with the overall finish. I just want it to match.

So, with minimal expense, can anyonegive advice as to how I can/should paint the car to make it look at least respectable?

Thanks,

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
Tom, were you thinking of rattle can or shooting the parts with a gun?
Either way, I wouldn't get the infra red off the shelf, I would sugest getting some paint made using a sample of the paint on your car.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, were you thinking of rattle can or shooting the parts with a gun?
Either way, I wouldn't get the infra red off the shelf, I would sugest getting some paint made using a sample of the paint on your car.
Not to sound obtuse, but how do I get a sample off the car?

I am really a noob in this regard.

I know virtually nothing about paint and body work. I know that computers can "match" the paint, but beyond that I know very little.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mine for 13 dollars in satin black. Its my DD and weekend track car. I love it
How were you able to do that?

Did you paint the entire car?

I ask only because that sounds like a lot of KRYLON to me... [joke]

·
Registered
265 Posts
red is one of the most expensive colors there is i used to spray cars

to paint the whole car yould need expirience, your best bet is going to advanc auto parts remove a small body piece you have an svt remove one of the side view mirros, and buy the duplicolor that matches to you car, they have them by year make and model and the lid of the can has the color so you can match it, buy 3 cans of that and 3 cans of clear coat duplicolor brand, buy a fine scuff pad and some tack clothes, and cleaner, you should spend like 40-50 dollars

before you buy everything just buy one can of it and get a peice of card box, and spray a corner of it wait 20 mins till it dries and see if the paint matches if soo buy the rest of the cans of paint

gohome remove the pieces , lay them on a small latter,

scuff the pieces evenly
clean them 2-3 times
tack them
spary the first coat spray it strokes you start pressin the nossel and when you sprayed one stroke you stop do not hold the ssel from side to side make sure you stop when you spray a stroke, also the firts coat you just spray in a distance of like a foot this way the paint stcks to the peice your painting.
let dry 20-30mins
tack it again
now you spray it but you dont dust it you spray a bit closer dont try to covet tehr whole peice you just give another hand if you missed a spot
repeat the last step till you covered the peices compleatley,
now apply clear again just dust it firts tack it and spray it normal apply as many coats as you want make sure you wait 20-30min before appling another coat you dont want it to drip

if you need help or dont understand something just pm me

if this help you out hit me wif some rep

·
Registered
16 Posts
okay i did some painting on my fofo this summer and had great success, so i hope you value what im going to say bro.

go to a automotive paint supplier and have them custom pack a couple of spray cans to match your color code off the VIN number. it is the only way to get a close match.

i used the dulpicolor primer and clear in my case and had no problems

do not tape off in the middle of a pannel paint the entire piece (ie fender and bumper) its your choice to take them off or not i would just leave them on.

first sand all areas smooth with 800 grit wed dry and rinse with hose and let dry

then prime lightly sand prime lightly sand paint lightly sand paint lighty sand clear lightly sand clear clear after a couple of good warm days of the paint drying smooth with rubbing compound and buff then wax

it should look really good after that, ive did a trunk and rear door that way and i have to point it out to people for them to see it.

hit me up with any questions i feel pretty cofindent in my paint knowelagde!

·
Registered
16 Posts
just in case i didnt make a good enough point do not buy dulpi color to match it will not match close enough for what you are doing, just ask mattkrack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts