Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how plagued with weird noises SVT's are? I just got mine and I love driving it but there always so many strange noises coming from everywhere. I'll get random clunks in the front end. Weird chirping noises when I shut it off. Noises when I first start it. The list goes on and on. Like I said I love the car but it kinda bugs me seeing is how this is the lowest miles car ( and most expensive) that I have ever driven. Have any of you noticed it too or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i'm starting to experiance noises in my zx4....nothing close to the svt but hey....it's still a focus!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
yes a lot of sounds.. but i really like the car tho.. thats why im keeping it and even moding hehe

·
Registered
395 Posts
the clunks from the frount could be your passanger motor mount. does it do it when your turning hard left and when you hit bumps??

·
Registered
454 Posts
you should check out the bolts that are on the front endlinks, it could be a loose bolt but you probably wont see it if the tires are up in the air. gotta make sure you have some pressure on both tires while they are off the ground(get the car on a ramp) i had some weird clunking sound from the front end and the dealership had a heck of a time trying to find where its coming from.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
mine clunks hard as hell when i downshift to first gear and stab the gas. i also have an annoying ass rattle from the catalytic converter heat shield.

·
Registered
454 Posts
^mine fell off while i was on the highway haha lucky no one else was on the road when it happened.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i get crazy noises also all the time, weather its a squeak i cant pin point, or some kind or "noise" i can never put my finger on.

i think it gives the cars there own special qualities.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If my car didn't make any strange noises I'd be worried.

·
Registered
687 Posts
my car has a wind whisling noise that drives me crazy, and from time to time ,the rear seat belt housing plastic cover will make a rattle.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
mine clunks hard as hell when i downshift to first gear and stab the gas. i also have an annoying ass rattle from the catalytic converter heat shield.
i would check to make sure that its not your cat bracket.

and i always seems to get a clunking only once in the morning when im backing out of my driveway i have to turn it hard right then i go to hard left and while turning it i hear it. oh and this weird thing with my clutch maybe? I dont think its going but everytime i let it out all the way for the first time you can hear it go "ER" like a tire churpping but not as loud.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Making your Focus as quiet as a Cadillac or a big Mercedes, is impossible. This is mostly due to the light suspension pieces, the over-all weight of the car, the engine itself, and the quality of the sound-deadening components. Much of this is not fixable......but there is some hope.

The strange rattles and clunks from the suspension are not normal....and can be fixed. All the rattles from the interior can be fixed. Much of the wind noises, can be fixed or quieted with some effort.

Other than my on-going fight against wind noise, and my efforts to quiet noises from the cabin area, I have other noise projects on the table. I'd like to increase the carpet padding by adding a heavier layer of sound deadening under the stock carpet.....possible but difficult.

You can make a Focus quieter than stock.....but it takes time, and innovation, because you're pretty much on your own. The after-market places mostly sell stuff that makes your car louder. [:(]

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The clunk from shifting is the lower rear engine/trans mount. The bushings are known to go bad, causing metal-to-metal contact under hard shifting.

It's not impossible to make any car quiet. Sound deadening is somewhat of a scientific art form, though, so it can take some time and money. Check out secondskinaudio.com for some pointers and materials.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so that clunking I was getting were my stabilizer links, $240 ( cdn) later and now its much more quiet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts