Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put in just over 12k miles since I got my car in May. Over 9000 of it was from a big road trip. I love everything about the way the transmission makes the car feel. I love how you don't feel the shifts and how good it all feels. I love sport mode and feel its almost perfect on the downshifts and the way it holds in the lower gear. I just would like to see more posts like this on here because the biggest threads are people complaining about small things. Anybody else here absolutely love the auto in this car?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Well, my transmission was acting janky until I got the update. Now it's perfect!

I didn't realize that I couldn't feel the shifting in the 2012 Focus until I drove my parents' 2002 Escape as well as a 2010 Fusion. I thought - wow! I've been spoiled since I've gotten used to the DCT!

·
Registered
81 Posts
This makes me feel really good guys! My 2012 Focus Sterling Grey, Sedan, 6 speed Automatic, Sport Pkg, Winter Pkg, Moon Roof, Just Arrived tonight should be getting it on Friday, if all goes well. Built Oct 10th, so it should have all the updates:) Cant Wait to drive it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's smoother than a normal hydraulic automatic but still has a bit of a thump when the gears engage after it downshifts. Good feel. Haven't had any issues with it hunting, not wanting to downshift when necessary and though the buttons are awkwardly placed, the manual gear selection works well. Don't miss my clutch much at all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I like mine! I drove a friends 2010 focus and I thought it was loud and the trans was kind of weird, it seemed like it was always pulling at stops and clunky at shifts! I'll take the DCT thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
The new 2012 focus has the powershift trans that is technically two 3-speed manual transmissions that are shifted automatically.
Thats the reason for a slight "jutter"(technical term from Ford engineering) on take off or at low speed shifts.
The new calibration does help, but this is a normal operating condition of that transmission.

Tappin-and-a-Talkin on my DroidX

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Focus was built after the TSB. The transmission has always been good to me.

It upshifts and downshifts just great, holding a gear when I'd expect it to. If I need to merge quickly it holds gears longer (in D) while the rapid shifts maintain a near constant power delivery.

I've never experienced harshness, shuddering or slipping in the shifts. I was certainly worried that I might, having read many of the Powershift threads on here, but my car's given me no cause for concern.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am just about to turn 5,000 miles on my 2012 Focus and my DCT continues to smooth out. Although my car was built before August 12th, I don't plan to have the "uodate" performed as frankly, I don't see how the transmission can be made to operate anymore smoothly then it currently does.

Realizing that the transmission is in fact an "automatically controlled manual transmission" takes a bit of getting used to for those of us who were brought up on generations of "slush boxes" - - automatics with torque converters. I have driven plenty of manual transmissions in my day and not even the best driver can shift a manual transmission as smoothly as the DCT shifts.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my DCT and the way in which it contributes to my superb fuel economy - - now averaging 35.4 MPG overall for almost 5,000 miles of mixed driving.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We have about 5600 miles on ours now and it has been perfect from the get go. Never had any signs of shuddering or bogging that others have experienced. Under light throttle driving the shifts are seamless. Under more spirited driving the shifts are distinct and firm like a well shifted manual and it is easy to use the full potential of the engine.

Like the autostick in our PT the sport mode was entertaining at first but i never use it any more, no need since the tranny works so well in D.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I still think the DCT has a long way to go before I would say it is smooth as glass and very well behaved, I did have the TSB applied and while much better I would not say it is perfect. I understand that a new design first Fiesta and now Focus will have some issues. So my love for the transmission is still not what it should be.

Montana

·
Registered
227 Posts
I LOVE! the Powershift transmission! [thumb] I drove a friends car last week and it had a "regular" auto transmission and was surprised how sloppy and slow the shifts are in comparison [thumbd]. When I got back into my car I was like WOW [headbang] it just seems so much more connected or something, the shifts are so quick and crisp feeling! The feel of the Powershift is sort of like the handling on the Focus, which feels solid and connected vs other cars which feel boaty or floaty or disconnected if you know what I mean. I think the transmission is a great match for the European type personality of the Focus !!!

I learned to drive in a stick shift so I understand basically what its doing, but dont ask me how it does it lol! [dunno]

·
Registered
747 Posts
I really don't like mine at crawling traffic speeds. Makes the car feel like the transmission is going to crap out. At anything above 5mph I love it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love the fact that Ford went ahead and tried something new in its product line. My DCT is great and has been since the start (having a late September build date [the car]).

I may be the rare bird that actually likes the placement of the shift buttons on the stick. It would have been way overloaded to have paddles on the wheel. I rarely use the S mode, but when I do the little rocker switch seems well-placed and natural.

I do think it is so sad that consumer reports blasted the trans without really investigating the fact that they had an early build issue resolvable by simple re-programming. They inaccurately made it sound like we're all driving lemons.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The transmission I have also has smooth and crisp upshifts and feels totally different than a torque convertor based transmission. It does make some noise (clattering) when it is shifting. I had it checked out at the dealer by a transmission tech and he said it was normal.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Have not had any issues so far. I ease right into mine and it takes off smoothly! I love this new transmission!

Posted via iPhone 4S

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love the fact that Ford went ahead and tried something new in its product line. My DCT is great and has been since the start (having a late September build date [the car]).

I may be the rare bird that actually likes the placement of the shift buttons on the stick. It would have been way overloaded to have paddles on the wheel. I rarely use the S mode, but when I do the little rocker switch seems well-placed and natural.

I do think it is so sad that consumer reports blasted the trans without really investigating the fact that they had an early build issue resolvable by simple re-programming. They inaccurately made it sound like we're all driving lemons.

Couldn't have said this any better so I'll just say "totally agree with Focus805!"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a little food for thought, Ford is the one that stated it was normal and did not bother telling any of the consumers that there may be a fix on the horizon. Consumer Reports was only reporting what the consumers felt was a issue and I was one of them.

Montana

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If they decide to not continue to use this kind of transmission it will make our cars even more special. Something else to think about :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I do ! It is a good transmission and made (at least for me) the passing from MT to DCT flawless. I really enjoy it and it is great when you push the gas pedal to speed up a little bit(more). [driving]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts