Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Focus SE. It will be 1 year old shortly and has just over 20K miles on it. I am looking at extended service plans, probably the Extracare plan since the Premiumcare plan has a lot of stuff on it that we don't even have on our car. The Extracare plan has everything I would think we'd have to worry about breaking. To date, we haven't had any repairs done on our car, only maintenance stuff (oil changes, etc).

We typically drive 20K/year, so would probably be looking at a 5 year/100K plan or a 6 year/125K plan.

My husband really wants an extended plan because we had a bad experience with our last car (bought used) and the ESP paid for a number of things. I think that was just a bad luck car and it was traded in by the previous owners because they knew it had issues, while our previous two cars, which we didn't have ESPs for, had no major issues in the 8 years we owned each of them. Our Ford was bought new and hasn't had any issues (yet), so I'm thinking an ESP might not be necessary, considering it would cost $900 or more.

Any opinions on ESPs, and if you have one, did you end up using it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The main thing that people tend to have fixed on the Focus is the DCT clutch pack/seal replacement, but you have a 2014 and depending on the build date you may never need this repair. The good news is that the warranty for the DCT clutch pack/seal has been extended to I think 7 years/100k miles but please double-check as I'm not sure if it applies to your car. So if it does apply, then the main issue that might pose a problem for your car is already covered. Of course that won't give you a free rental like most good ESP's do, but at least the repairs will be covered...

I never get an ESP on my cars unless I buy it CPO, then usually it comes with one already... Just my opinion!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus SE. It will be 1 year old shortly and has just over 20K miles on it. I am looking at extended service plans, probably the Extracare plan since the Premiumcare plan has a lot of stuff on it that we don't even have on our car. The Extracare plan has everything I would think we'd have to worry about breaking. To date, we haven't had any repairs done on our car, only maintenance stuff (oil changes, etc).

We typically drive 20K/year, so would probably be looking at a 5 year/100K plan or a 6 year/125K plan.

My husband really wants an extended plan because we had a bad experience with our last car (bought used) and the ESP paid for a number of things. I think that was just a bad luck car and it was traded in by the previous owners because they knew it had issues, while our previous two cars, which we didn't have ESPs for, had no major issues in the 8 years we owned each of them. Our Ford was bought new and hasn't had any issues (yet), so I'm thinking an ESP might not be necessary, considering it would cost $900 or more.

Any opinions on ESPs, and if you have one, did you end up using it?
You probably don't need one. Since the critical components are already covered through 60k miles, you may not ever find yourself needing it. If your car had some bugs which others have reported (radiator leaks, oil leaks, etc.) then you might want to invest in an ESP.

That being said, there is always an argument for protecting a big investment. At 77k miles the oil pump could die and in that situation you would be covered. You'll have to ask yourself if you would be financially prepared to make major repairs on your car. If you think you could afford it without disrupting your lifestyle, then don't worry about it. However, if you're not handy and you couldn't pay a huge sum out of pocket multiple times then you might be better off with the ESP. Some people see no value, others won't go without one, but what's important is whether it would augment your ownership situation and whether it is cost-effective for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts