Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a stupid quesiton but does a stock svt have 170 to the wheels, thats what is said on all the spec sheets or is that bhp. I just got the car just needed some info bout it. but i need a turbo any recomendaitons

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
no, wheel hp is about 150, i think? 170 is the bhp, break horsepower, or hp at the crank. wheel hp is whp

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you dont need a turbo. If you have a good amount of extra cash get one, but no one needs a turbo. And your car stock makes 140-150whp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about the sentra ralliart they all advertise bhp asswell correct? what u getting to the wheels with the sc i have bout 3500 extra to spend

·
Registered
191 Posts
floridafocukid69 said:
what about the sentra ralliart they all advertise bhp asswell correct? what u getting to the wheels with the sc i have bout 3500 extra to spend
Did you mean the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart? The power you get to the wheels with forced induction is going to depend on the blower/turbo, other hardware, and tuning. Figure in their stock forms, the JRSC with big boost kit will get you to around 215 whp, and the Powerworks, Vortech, and Procharger will be in the 250 whp range. For a turbo, there are way to many variations on how to put together a turbo kit to really help you out with that, but a low-boost, non-intercooled setup should get you into the 215+ whp range. On the high end of things you'll get a lot more hp/tq, but you're nowhere near $3500 anymore.

You're only realistic FI options (aside from N2O) in the $3500 range at this point would be the JRSC/BBK, or maybe the Procharger or Vortech.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
It's actually called "brake horsepower," because they use precision measurement brakes to measure the horsepower at the flywheel.

Indicated or gross horsepower (theoretical capability of the engine)
minus frictional losses within the engine (bearings, rods, etc), equals

Brake or net horsepower (power delivered directly by the engine)
minus frictional losses in the transmission (bearings, gears, etc.), equals

Shaft horsepower (power delivered to the driveshaft)
minus shaft losses (friction, slip, cavitation, etc), equals

Effective or wheel horsepower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Basically, our cars make 170bhp and ~150whp. "Break horsepower" is something else entirely, used to describe the brief but large surge of power needed to start the rotation of a motor.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
floridafocukid69 said:
this might be a stupid quesiton but does a stock svt have 170 to the wheels, thats what is said on all the spec sheets or is that bhp. I just got the car just needed some info bout it. but i need a turbo any recomendaitons
You'll be lucky to get 145/150 at the wheels,that is bhp. What do you mean you need a turbo??? Like nothing else will do need?? Or you'll settle for something less like SC need...???

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
SVT_BMXer said:
you dont need a turbo. If you have a good amount of extra cash get one, but no one needs a turbo. And your car stock makes 140-150whp.
I need more then that~!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to be able to out run the Police!!!!!![:D]
I need more around 280 WHP![thumb]

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^and those helicopters are pretty damn fast, and they don't have to worry about corners.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
A turbo will give you 280+ if built and tuned to those specs. It won't outrun the police though. Radio signals are pretty fast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your going to want to out-run the police your going to need about 17 times the ammount you have available...To install you jet engines and wings and all the other stull u'll need to get airborne...

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Ill just get a Yamaha R1 like I was Planning. Its fast enough for me, and Im not planning on running from any cops.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If you want to outrun the police you're going to need to buy a superbike. The Yamaha R6 or R1 does it nicely. Most police won't even bother radioing or chasing a speeding bike in this area unless they can somehow read that tiny little plate as it zips past the speed trap at 120 then notices and throttles it to 160.

Mind you that's dumber than piss, and because of how common bikes are around here I also hear about 2-3 nasty accidents and at least one fatality a week through the summer months.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
WUGcatsvt said:
Ill just get a Yamaha R1 like I was Planning. Its fast enough for me, and Im not planning on running from any cops.
haha, I didn't even see this post before I made mine. The R1 is great, but I prefer the R6. It's a much better bike all around, and can easily be upgraded to nuke the R1.

You'll never be able to get that fat hog of an R1 to handle like the R6 though. When it comes to emergency stop situations, you'll be very happy if you go with the R6 instead.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Hmmm, it appears someone has OAD, lol.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
^^^^^^^
Not at all I used to Have an 2001 R6! I had to get rid of it due to money situations. Oh do I miss My bike!!! R6s are Bad but I want to Upgrade a Little and go with a 2006 R1. I dont have the Money right now though.[:(]

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
haha yeah thats even more Money. I would rather Turbo my R1. HAHA
JK. I dont want to kill myself.
Im a big Yamaha Guy. I love the looks and Performance. And Im just bias towards them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts