Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a 2008 Focus SE. The clutch gave out suddenly. I am wondering if it could be the
hydraulics that went out. He is starting to replace the clutch and he has limited mechanical experience and
no manual.
I am not familiar with these cars and did not see a clutch master cylinder on the fire wall.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,308 Posts
My neighbor has a 2008 Focus SE. The clutch gave out suddenly. I am wondering if it could be the
hydraulics that went out. He is starting to replace the clutch and he has limited mechanical experience and
no manual.
I am not familiar with these cars and did not see a clutch master cylinder on the fire wall.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick
It is hydraulic. Master cylinder for the clutch is inside on the firewall. Shares the same fluid as the brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible that the clutch could quit working because the hydraulics have quit working.
If so, is there a way to check it?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Is it possible that the clutch could quit working because the hydraulics have quit working.
Could be there is a leak, the slave is bad, or the master is bad. Do you see fluid leaking? (although there does not need to be a leak for the components to be bad)

Paul

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to make sure the hydraulics are the problem?
I don't want to replace all the hydraulic components and then find out the
disk is bad and vice-versa.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Is there a way to make sure the hydraulics are the problem?
I don't want to replace all the hydraulic components and then find out the
disk is bad and vice-versa.
With engine running does vehicle move with trans in gear and clutch pedal not depressed?
Can the gears be shifted with the engine running and clutch pedal depressed?

Paul

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yes. If the master cylinder goes bad. The pedal will feel like nothing is there. Sometimes the master cylinder arm can pop off the clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Pop your head under the dash and look at the clutch pedal. You'll see the master attached to it. If you see any fluid leaking, that is likely your problem. When they get really bad, it leaks down the clutch pedal and onto the floor mat/carpet. A bad master will cause no clutch pedal.

Paul is spot on in that if you clutch in and try to start the car in first, if it moves, it's unlikely a bad clutch.

A bad slave will usually leak externally, and you'll see fluid leaking between the bell housing and block at the bottom. Unfortunately, if the slave is bad, you need to pull the transmission (since the slave is concentric and bolts on around the input shaft). If you confirm the master is good, you'll have to remove the transmission to fix either the clutch or slave. If you're going in there, do it all since you don't want to do this twice. Get an OEM slave cylinder.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Heats advice is spot on. The reason for the OEM slave cylinder is that they are metal and seal the input shaft with an oring, while the replacement aftermarket is plastic. If you use the plastic slave you must discard the o ring and use an anaerobic sealant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. As I mentioned, it is the neighbors car and as soon as I see him I'll forward your suggestions.
You guys are sharp!
Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts