Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comment of mine is in response to a person asking me about trading up from a SE to a ST.
What do you think?
"""
Well I kind of 'had a crazy moment' and ordered a ST in a fit of passion. I 'should' have kept the 2012 5 speed SE as it was just about perfect for me. (I am 65 years old)
THe ST is a harsher rid. (in fact I doubt most ordinary folks would tolerate it) It is just like a small car with lowered springs. stiff, bouncy. not like the SE. Though on a smooth road it is smooth too.
Then the power. It has a LOT more power. 'Getting hauled off the jail for multiple violations' sort of power. Now I like power like that, prior to the 2012 Focus SE I owned a 1999 Contour SVT since new, for 13 years. (and would have bought an identical car over again) The SVT had 200 hp, and a five speed manual. AA sedan instead of a hatch. Both cars can easily be driven at normal speeds, and easy on the throttle the car is a kitten.

On the other hand: I know what driving at 140mph is like. and how hard it is to do. and how EASY it is to go 130mph.. LOL And how one can go from 60 to 110 in a few seconds..
And that going around corners one cannot EVER beat the laws of physics... and that tiny patch of water really really matters...

Anyway, if you never want to drive fast. scary fast, then do not buy the ST.
Especially a ST1 (the whole point of the ST1 is to GO SCARY FAST on a budget.)

I almost bought a ST1. Then decided to opt for the bling of the ST3. For $6K it is worth the money. HID, NAV, Recaro full leather, auto climate control.

If I had it to do over? Well so far OK. But if I get speeding tickets I will be crying. When you get a ticket for 12 over... ahhh so what. When the ticket is for 37mph OVER the speed limit. (my last SVT ticket) it HURTS. (and really lucky for me too. If the cop had been 1/4 mile further down the road right then that day. My ticket would have been for 75mph OVER the speed limit.
This is what owning a fast car does to one.

It is like being an alcoholic, drunk on speed, and having that addiction driving the car, all the time, except the addiction is speed. It really grows on one.
Today my fastest hit was about 85mph in a 50 zone, bump to change lanes (A guy was tailgating me and I was annoyed)

So anyway.. that is what you have to accept. The gradual addiction to the gas pedal, and the results: Eventually a speeding ticket. Maybe a BIG speeding ticket. (my 'solution' is to drive the speed limit, on cruise control, most of the time. It works, and keeps me from the loss of my license)

Another thing is warming up the car. With the oil temp gauge, I realize I usually do not drive far enough to really warm up the engine. And you do not want to use much boost with a cold engine. Winter.. Snow tires on other wheels mandatory I spent $1,700 for my set of 18" wheels and snow tires and those were all at a discount.

With snow tires the car is good in the snow. My IMO only. Folks used to Jeeps with mud tires might think differently about the ST in the snow.

Handling is razor sharp. if a bit busy. No taking you hands off the steering wheel on this ride. You knee will NOT cut it.

So all in all the ST is for driving, not riding around in a car.. But DRIVING around in a car.
And if you are not used to a stick, then consider if you commute. The ST is not happy in a twenty to forty mile crawl at under 5mph with endless stop start.. You will go insane if you had to do that 10 times a week, in an ST. Or downtown streetlights. Consider every stop you have to row the shift lever 5 times That is EVERY stop. For EVERMORE. No getting tired, no saying car shift yourself today.. NOT.

If you love driving, controlling your car. feeling like the master of your domain, and love to know your car is FAST (well not Corvette or GT500 fast, but fast enough)..
And do not mind the harsh ride over anything other than smooth pavement.
Then get the ST.

If not. then keep your SE
Good luck,
Elizabeth

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hahaha I love this. I totally understand the feeling. When I had my 2012 Mustang I could not keep my foot off the gas. My summer tires were dead after two seasons. Then I traded that in and got my Focus due to financial reasons. I thought I would enjoy driving my Focus spiritedly however I don't really find myself doing so very often just because I know what it feels like to drive a fast car (my Mustang) and my Focus just pails in comparison in every way.

I have been going over and over in my head what my next car would be and I keep coming back to the ST but I'm not sure that would be a smart idea as I know I would get myself in trouble and start spending a lot of money on upgrades. I guess I've just reached the point in my life (getting married in 4 months) where I have accepted that I have to make more responsible decisions. It may be a very long time until I own another car I REALLY enjoy driving.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wife and I alternate between our ST and SE and I definitely have two driver settings, I'm way more aggressive in the ST and for that reason I prefer the SE for my daily runnings.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Shifting has never bothered me in traffic. Even more so since the ST has low end torque. I can go to first to third to sixth if I want. In stop and go I can blurp the throttle and coast out of gear. Hill assist is a godsend too. The car does invite aggressive behavior. Mainly for me its late or no braking for a turn. The car rotates so quick and seamlessly that it feels like you are on rails.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shifting has never bothered me in traffic. Even more so since the ST has low end torque. I can go to first to third to sixth if I want. In stop and go I can blurp the throttle and coast out of gear. Hill assist is a godsend too. The car does invite aggressive behavior. Mainly for me its late or no braking for a turn. The car rotates so quick and seamlessly that it feels like you are on rails.
Yes. "The car feels like it is on rails'.. My SVT also had that feeling... and I used the same words to describe it. But only when it had the OEM tires on it. They had extremely stiff sidewalls(on 16"OEM wheels with 55 series tires, they needed to be stiff) and were wonderful for curves, and were actually designed for the car. Once those tires were no longer produced.. other tires i tried just never gave the same level of confidence, and I could feel them squirming all over the place in hard cornering.

I do not think the ST will ever have that problem with 18" wheels as standard. I even bought 18" wheels for my snow tire needs.. For the same reason. Cornering like on a rail.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interestingly that sort of post is very similar to what I read before on the Lotus forums.

In a way the ST is a bit like an Elise, the reasons to drive one are most likely to be the fun factor, handling and whatever is related to the driving experience. The ST is way more comfy than an Elise (and it's a lot easier to get in and out as well) but people who drive either car appreciate the little things that may make others cringe.

I got a ST1 because it was quite affordable and because I don't give a damn about backup camera and other gadgets. I like my cars to be as visceral as possible, so to speak and the stock ST fits the bill pretty well.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Great to read you all love your st's. For speeding its all about self control as you know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hold out for a while and get the RS. That will be a car that will get your blood flowing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hold out for a while and get the RS. That will be a car that will get your blood flowing.
I am willing to bet money that the RS will not be available for at least another year. More like Spring of 2016 At best. [hihi][hihi][hihi]
And the price will start at North of $40,000. [hihi] (well, maybe the base will be at 38K LOL)
This from years of looking at Ford showing cars which eventually were made.. the key word is EVENTUALLY.

If you want to wait. be my guest.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
We just bought a 2014 ST with 88 miles on it today. [woot]

Same model as Gronk and holy crap man...these sum[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] are fast and there's enough buttons and whatnot on this thing than I care to use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am willing to bet money that the RS will not be available for at least another year. More like Spring of 2016 At best. [hihi][hihi][hihi]
And the price will start at North of $40,000. [hihi] (well, maybe the base will be at 38K LOL)
This from years of looking at Ford showing cars which eventually were made.. the key word is EVENTUALLY.

If you want to wait. be my guest.
Check out the RS section here. All you want to know about it. [woot]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

Same model as Gronk and holy crap man...these sum[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] are fast and there's enough buttons and whatnot on this thing than I care to use.
Awesome^^^^^^^[woot]

·
Registered
179 Posts

w00t! w00t! [clap]
I'm liking the car more and more. One thing I need to do is to replace the oil. I went for the first oil change at 1300 miles (was free from the stealership) but they used something not viscous enough for my liking and it takes a while for the oil to get to temperature [bawling]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
w00t! w00t! [clap]
I'm liking the car more and more. One thing I need to do is to replace the oil. I went for the first oil change at 1300 miles (was free from the stealership) but they used something not viscous enough for my liking and it takes a while for the oil to get to temperature [bawling]
Sorry to say ANY oil is going to take just as long to 'get to temperature' if you go by the OIL temp gauge in your ST.
Plus the viscosity is a required standard. Use the wrong one and your warranty can go goodbye goodbye when you engine 'explodes' or whatever...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts