Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the mods for air and this pic is perfect to explain what to look for in front grill to see if you DO or Do NOT have the closing shutters.
PIC:
[/[/IMG]
Ignore the strange goings on the right side of the pic.
Look at the left. YOu can see the silvery part, that is the radiator. in front of the radiator are some horizontal flaps with small pins next to the yellow body. THOSE are the closing shutters. Open of course when standing still or car off.
So all you need is a flashlight, and peek into the bottom of your front, and see if you have the flaps ,black long blades with pins on the ends to allow them to rotate.
I want to thank "member "newmission" who has no idea I stole his pic [hihi] to demonstrate where the radiator shutters are and how to spot if you DO have them. Feel free to [smackbum] for stealing the pic!
And yes i have shutters on my ride. i looked last night. But reading the post with newmissions' pic it it reminded me to mention the shutters..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Mine default to closed when my car is off.

·
Registered
311 Posts
IIRC, they should default to open when the vehicle is off. They'll close when you're on the highway to improve aerodynamic efficiency, when you first start the vehicle for faster warm-up times, and any time extra engine cooling isn't necessary and the a/c is off.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
IIRC, they should default to open when the vehicle is off. They'll close when you're on the highway to improve aerodynamic efficiency, when you first start the vehicle for faster warm-up times, and any time extra engine cooling isn't necessary and the a/c is off.
Both the 2012 and 2013 have them and operate like this.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My '13 SE sedan's shutters apparently are in the off position when the car is off. I've attached a pic of it.

Guess I should first ask if the shutters on all '13 models? Maybe I don't have them? I haven't really got down to look at them specifically... Sad I know... [???:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
You cant see the shutters from that far away, you have to bend down and look under the license plate holder and look for black plastic strips that rotate around right in front of the radiator. Found a good bit of my bugs in my radiator while I was down there, sucks to be them..

·
Registered
470 Posts
You cant see the shutters from that far away, you have to bend down and look under the license plate holder and look for black plastic strips that rotate around right in front of the radiator. Found a good bit of my bugs in my radiator while I was down there, sucks to be them..
Ah ok. As soon as I get my car back from the shop I will look. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I read somewhere that the first builds in 2011 for the 2012 models they were only on models with SFE then they started putting them on all models.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I read somewhere that the first builds in 2011 for the 2012 models they were only on models with SFE then they started putting them on all models.
It wasn't consistent in the beginning. It was only advertised on the SFE due to the 40 mpg highway fuel economy targets, however it was installed on various models before complete implementation officially on Job 2 2012 builds after 3/5/12, but was nearly standard across the line before then anyway.

It started with the SFE but also other SE-Ti models in cold weather states or with the winter package and possibly California emissions states as well from the first builds.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have them on my 2012 Focus S, built in Nov. 2011. ETIS says I don't have them. Window sticker doesn't say anything about them either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts