Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Ok ... we are constantly hearing that the transmission has to "learn" how we drive .... duh ...

wait a minute ... what about the increasing numbers of 2012s we are seeing here in FL from the rental agencies .... come on ... how can a car learn how to drive ... when it has different divers every day? Or do they have a special software for a "rental"?

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is not a something that is new, my truck with the Allison Transmission is a learing transmission and it works. If you drive like a grandma it will shift like butter and you will not feel any shifts. Drive like Mario and it shifts really hard. Bottom line is some days I drive mine easy and some days with a lead foot and there is really no differance in how it shifts. I drive easy it shifts smooth, I drive hard it shifts hard. If you add a chip it will learn how to handle the added power.

·
Registered
202 Posts
so Ok ... we are constantly hearing that the transmission has to "learn" how we drive .... duh ...

wait a minute ... what about the increasing numbers of 2012s we are seeing here in FL from the rental agencies .... come on ... how can a car learn how to drive ... when it has different divers every day? Or do they have a special software for a "rental"?
No, I don't believe it. Like a rental how does it learn the husband wife differences? I believe it has to do some calculating for it's own mechanical differences (clutch break in/wear etc.) and that's it.

I can drive like Grandma one day and feel like being a teenager the next (or in the same day). Doesn't make a bit of sense. I'd like to see the engineer that developed the transmission explain it so it makes sense. Not gonna happen. Sales people jibberish to keep the warranty repair calls to a minimum. They should change their story.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's not learning YOUR driving, it's learning it own trans, how to efficiently shift with the clutch, gears, torque and such of the engine/trans, wheels etc. As it breaks in it will adjust how it engages the clutch plate, when and how hard to shift etc. to be as efficient as possible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's not learning YOUR driving, it's learning it own trans, how to efficiently shift with the clutch, gears, torque and such of the engine/trans, wheels etc. As it breaks in it will adjust how it engages the clutch plate, when and how hard to shift etc. to be as efficient as possible.
+1

It doesn't have to learn you it learns its self.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts