Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know im kind of a noob for asking this but, our engines aren't belt driven right? I didn't think they were even chain driven. Dont we have cam gears instead of a chain or a belt? Thanx for all your input guys.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
I know im kind of a noob for asking this but, our engines aren't belt driven right? I didn't think they were even chain driven. Dont we have cam gears instead of a chain or a belt? Thanx for all your input guys.
SPI's and Zetecs use timing belts if that's what you're asking...

DURATECS HAVE TIMING CHAINS! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HEY LOOK! THIS IS IN SONIC BLUE! BWAHAHAHHAHAHA!

sorry Jon

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^lol all I care about is my SVT motor I know its considered a "zetec" but one of a different breed ya know...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
^^lol all I care about is my SVT motor I know its considered a "zetec" but one of a different breed ya know...
BRED FOR PERFORMANCE! Well seeing how it's a tuned up Zetec, it should still use a timing belt.

·
Registered
950 Posts
all its got is the zetec block, but yes it uses a timing belt. timing belts are what dirve cam gears

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its a belt, duratec's use chains.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww nuts...I thought they were more hardcore. How often do you think our belt needs to be replaced?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^ According to my Service Guide that came with the car...not till 120,000 miles.
I'd probably do it sooner than that though, around 75,000 miles. [;)]

·
Banned
171 Posts
WD40 said:
^^^ According to my Service Guide that came with the car...not till 120,000 miles.
I'd probably do it sooner than that though, around 75,000 miles. [;)]
The 120,000 suggestion is in the standard guide and refers to the regular Zetec which is not an interference motor.

The SVT is an interference motor so if the belt lets go bad things happen.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Doug is correct, between 60k to 80k miles on the svt. What does the "i thought they were more hardcore" mean? I dont get that one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
more hardcore as in having a chain which never needs replacing. Get it?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Wholley hell!! That does NOT look good! ..... As a rule-of-thumb, I have always been advised to change the timing belt every 60K miles ..... think I will stick with that policy. LOL

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
a belt is actually more'hard core' than a chain. Take a look at all your old school V-8 engine builders, they all seem to be switching to a belt driven cam or gear drive.

A belt has very little stretch, and nowadays most have automatic tensoiners, where a chain ends up with a lot of slack over time, and usually just has a plastic guard that doesn't really help all that much once it gets grooved up.

I'll take a belt I can change easily, and also easily install a method to chenge cam timing versus a chain that I have to pull half the motor apart to change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
I think Zetecs have belts. I'm positively certain that Duratecs have CHAINS. Belts are cheaper and quieter, but chains don't stretch or break - hardly ever.

You see cam gears only in pushrod engines, not in OHCs like just about every modern four-cylinder motor. The last fours I saw with timing gears were the GM "Iron Duke," used in the awful X-Body front-drivers (Chevy Citation, Pontiac 3000, etc.) and the Pontiac Fiero, GM's excuse for a mid-engined sports car, and the Renault R-5s and R-9s (LeCar and Alliance, respectively, in the USA).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Scott_SVT said:
a belt is actually more'hard core' than a chain. Take a look at all your old school V-8 engine builders, they all seem to be switching to a belt driven cam or gear drive.

From a V-8 builder and performance enthusiast.... (me)

I don't think so!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
well, I didn't say ALL of them...

but I do know quite a few that have, with very satisfactory results.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ooo nice!! This thread is heating up I hope this continues I am curious to see the results

1 - 20 of 22 Posts