Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 coupe and friend has a 2011 sedan and I've been told by a local dealerships that these cars do not have a replacement air filter but then I've been told they do so which one is it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only one way to know for sure - open the hood & look.

They all have replaceable filters, but you could well have the "lifetime" type that requires the replacement of a whole large assembly to do it rather than just a filter element that requires more frequent inspection/replacement.

If there's an airbox with clips to open it & replace the element, then you have the simpler one.

If you just see a "box" that bolts in place, and looking down the left side you see a restriction gauge (clear cylinder, with green to red gradations and a yellow disc that shows the current level) - then you have the "lifetime" unit with the actual filter in a box hidden in the fender well.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yep. pop the hood and find out. I've heard of this lifetime unit. Sounds like that would suck. Every car I have ever seen has a replaceable filter.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They are replaceable, by the dealer, to the tune of $250-$350. I had one on my '05 ST. I replaced it with a Steeda SRI.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah if thats what it cost for that price you can buy any cold air intake or short ram intake you want so I would do that

·
Registered
523 Posts
PZEV has a lifetime filter. I see you are in New York, a state where PZEV is available. The dealer may be assuming that all vehicles that come in are PZEV, meaning none of them would have a 30,000 mile air filter. You can install a cold air intake even if you have a PZEV model, the FSwerks includes an additional port for whatever extra emissions device the PZEV has. Not totally sure about other brands, but I'm sure they feature the additional ports as well. Best way to check, other than examining your stock intake, is to read the emissions sticker (either on the underside of your hood or top of your grille) and see if it mentions the emissions classification.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes they all have a replacement engine air filter from 08-11. WAKE UP
Yes and no

PZEV cars do not have a traditional serviceable air filter. You can replace it, but you're doing the whole box for the tune of a couple hundred bucks

Non-PZEV cars have a serviceable air filter that you can do without doing the air box for $10 and can get the filter anywhere, even your local wally world

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've owned 3 focus. All had PZEV motors. My 07 SES had lifetime filter but my 2011 and 2014 both have replaceable filters.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Lifetime" setup disappeared for some MkII's and all MkIII's.

Just which ones still had it has been hard to determine from posts here, that's why on the earlier models I simply mentioned looking for confirmation.

·
Registered
659 Posts
2005-2007 all had the lifetime filter. I had 145,000 miles on my 06 the gauge on the air box was still in the green. My brothers 05 had over 170,000 and still good. I always thought when it went I'D get a STEEDA sri set up. My 2008 has a regular filter.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Another note, mine does not have the "air flow" gauge on the side of the box, but basically if you look at the air box and it looks like it doesn't come apart, it probably does not come apart

·
Registered
177 Posts
My wifes 08 pzev has the non serviceable filter and no air restriction gage. One time I bought an oem non pzev setup for an 08. Unfortunately with the non pzev the car didn't idle right. I'd occasionally have rpms hang around 1500 and it kept throwing codes so i put the crappy "lifetime" setup back in and all went back to normal. Seems these cars are very sensitive to air flow. Don't know if i could install a cai, or if the same thing would happen again. Now when i buy cars i check to make sure i can replace the air filter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts