Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Factory Lugs suck or is it just me?

• Suck

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • You're nuts, they're just fine. (or is it just YOUR nuts?)

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I still have my oem wheels, aftermarket, and 16" snow tires on steelies and I decided to use my oem bulge lugs with the steelies...just for shits and giggles I placed the oem lug in the hole and looked at the back side and the extra conical surface was not making contact, the hole would have to be smaller to do that, I did not take pics because my phone was dead.
So you looked at thin stamped steel wheels not making contact with an OEM lug designed for aluminum? WTF is that supposed to prove? Bunch of clueless armchair quarterbacks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually, Ford uses those nuts on SUVs as well. Same part number. The entire conical area is not used on all models. You can see the "heavy" black line just above where FFHB13 drew the red lines, that is the contact area on your Focus (and it's why it has extreme wear there).

The McGuard nut pictured has a marginally smaller conical area. But not as large as the picture suggests.
The cone area of the lug is polished over it's entire surface. Slight differences in color are not an indication there is no contact. If it wasn't making contact it wouldn't be polished AT ALL. I can see the matching contact area on the wheel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Mcgard splinedrive lug in the bottom of your picture are great lugs, I have a set with locks that I've been using since about 2001 on 3 different makes of domestic car, all 5x1.5mm
Yeah, they're good for an application that isn't designed for the bulge cone nuts. I have a set of the same spline drive lugs on my 2001 Marauder with aftermarket wheels that were designed to use them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The cone area of the lug is polished over it's entire surface. Slight differences in color are not an indication there is no contact. If it wasn't making contact it wouldn't be polished AT ALL. I can see the matching contact area on the wheel.
I have old lug nuts on my desk, the underside of the lugs show wear (under the lip) where its impossible for them to contact.

The wear you are talking about is just cosmetic wear due to the elements. Not due to contact. However darker lines are not cosmetic wear, and are caused by material (like dust and dirt) being squeezed between the wheel and the lug. I have those black marks in the same location on all my old lugs.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Yeah, they're good for an application that isn't designed for the bulge cone nuts. I have a set of the same spline drive lugs on my 2001 Marauder with aftermarket wheels that were designed to use them.
I used the splinedrive on my 2003 Sunfire, which has the exact same oem Acorn-looking lugnuts, except for no silly outer metal capping that Ford did... How old are you, I feel like I'm arguing with a 60 year old that's too set in his ways..."them there newfangled lug things are a dang abomination"

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I've owned 3 domestic cars that all had those silly looking acornlike lugs, all accepted aftermarket lugs just fine, same wheels.. don't know when you are going to post evidence to back your ridiculous claim.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've owned 3 domestic cars that all had those silly looking acornlike lugs, all accepted aftermarket lugs just fine, same wheels.. don't know when you are going to post evidence to back your ridiculous claim.
I posted a photo clearly showing the entire conical clamping surface was polished smooth from contact with the handling package 18" alloy wheel. "Looks" are a ridiculous way to judge a fastener designed to hold on a critical component like a wheel, although the McGard 64012 looks just fine if you are overly concerned with such things.

You seem to lack an understanding of basic engineering principles. Clamping area, torque and tensile strength of the alloy were all considerations in the original design. I chose not to alter this OEM design, it was trivially easy - just buy the right aftermarket lug nuts.

If you choose to halve the lug nut area you're doubling the clamping load on the wheel, concentrating it in a smaller area. Go ahead and do that to your own car, while I point out this obvious fact and don't accept your (lack of) analysis and engineering.

Edit: here is the photo again, red shows polished contact area, green shows area not smoothed by contact with the wheel.

Attachments

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^You are ******. Good day sir.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok, I just read it and WoW! My Gorillas work just fine for both of my vehicles. I'm sure they did the same testing as the OEM but better. The spline drives and locking lugs have been out for years and if there was a problem with them we would all know by now. Trying to say OEM is better then aftermarket is not always true. OEM is the cheapest as they can get the product they want without compromising safety. The aftermarket has engineers to make a better product and push the OEM... Why do you think Steeda and other companies work with Ford to make better products and if they can get it cheaper they will add it to the new vehicle. This is why Ford gives the Mustang and other cars to aftermarket dealers, so they have parts ready when the vehicle comes out. Plus Ford probably gets a Kick back as most things are Patented.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to work for Ford, and the lug nuts will eventually swell and become a pain in the rear, but it's more than likely some wet behind the ears tech over torqued the lugs. I would go steel or any performance a7075 aluminum lug nuts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just replaced all of mine. They were all in bad shape and whoever had the car before me had a couple of mismatches in the mix too so it took three different socket sizes to get them all off. Amazon had a nice set of 24 for $17 so I've got some good spares.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I finally got around to replacing mine over the weekend. Sure enough, the very last one I tried to get off gave me trouble. I had to gently bang my socket to get it on. Man, F those factory lugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
(Reviving thread from the dead) AS FUNNY STORIES GO: Just in case nobody heard, there was a class-action lawsuit in 2017 against Ford over those lug nuts. Unfortunately, the case was dismissed earlier this year (that's "2019"... in case you are reading this in the year 2073, and are still driving your 68-year-old focus around and 'still' haven't managed to get your lug nuts off.)

Ford sued over 'inferior design' of lug nuts:
https://www.autonews.com/article/20170825/OEM01/170829821/ford-sued-over-inferior-design-of-lug-nuts

Judge dismisses proposed class-action lawsuit against Ford over lug nuts:
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/judge-dismisses-proposed-class-action-lawsuit-against-ford-over-lug-nuts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I’m guessing the Judge isn’t a Ford owner.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts