Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Factory Lugs suck or is it just me?

• Suck

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • You're nuts, they're just fine. (or is it just YOUR nuts?)

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I only torque to 80 lbs-ft. That helps getting them off next time. I know Ford specifies 100 lbs-ft, but all my vehicles since the mid-80s have been 80 lbs-ft.

Including F-150.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I only torque to 80 lbs-ft. That helps getting them off next time. I know Ford specifies 100 lbs-ft, but all my vehicles since the mid-80s have been 80 lbs-ft.

Including F-150.
I'd go to 100. 80 is not enough. If you want to go under, do something like 95. I've never had an issue getting mine off when I torqued them which is always between 95 and 100.

The shops torque them to over 100.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I end up removing and reinstalling my lug nuts by hand with a torque wrench and have no issues with deterioration. Is it possible by hand is more gentle on them than with an air wrench?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I end up removing and reinstalling my lug nuts by hand with a torque wrench and have no issues with deterioration. Is it possible by hand is more gentle on them than with an air wrench?
If you never over torque them, you should never have issues with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The factory 1s r junk. They get dirt and crud up under them causing them 2 swell. Then u have 2 beat the correct socket on and fight getting the socket off. Eventually the cheap lil cover comes off the lug nut.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Mine are not like that at all. They are pricy, but I like McGard Splinedrive lugnuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mcgards r not like factory lugnuts. That is like cap mailing apples 2 oranges. Nice 2 help deter theft but r sometimes crazy 2 get off n the shop when the especially when people. Ring there. Cars n 4 a rotate and 4 get all about having the Mcgards on t h mm

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Mcgards r not like factory lugnuts. That is like cap mailing apples 2 oranges. Nice 2 help deter theft but r sometimes crazy 2 get off n the shop when the especially when people. Ring there. Cars n 4 a rotate and 4 get all about having the Mcgards on t h mm

Sent from my SM-S902L using FF Mobile
Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel, er, a consonant, er......

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

Sent from my SM-S902L using FF Mobile
OP asked for suggestions for lugnuts, I'm giving him my suggestion..I have a set of them that was 12 years old, still look good, still perform great...same pitch as Focus 12x1.5mm so I have used them on three different cars now

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

Including F-150.
There's no hard and fast rule, but STEEL wheels, steelies usually require 100ft lbs.. Alloy and aftermarket wheels are around 80ft lbs..you can do damage doing 100ft lbs on certain alloy wheels and the tuner lugnuts

·
Registered
580 Posts
There's no hard and fast rule, but STEEL wheels, steelies usually require 100ft lbs.. Alloy and aftermarket wheels are around 80ft lbs..you can do damage doing 100ft lbs on certain alloy wheels and the tuner lugnuts
All OEM Ford Wheels are 100 ft-lbs, or 150 ft-lbs (Mustang is one that is 150).

To be honest, every OEM car I've had (all with chrome plated alloy or painted alloy rims)have been at least 100 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
All OEM Ford Wheels are 100 ft-lbs, or 150 ft-lbs (Mustang is one that is 150).

To be honest, every OEM car I've had (all with chrome plated alloy or painted alloy rims)have been at least 100 ft-lbs.
what?

my 04 focus is ~90lbft. my '14 Escape is 100, my '14 Mustang is also 100

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
150lbs seems like a lot of force

·
Registered
580 Posts
what?

my 04 focus is ~90lbft. my '14 Escape is 100, my '14 Mustang is also 100
2015+ Mustangs are 150 ft-lbs. I didn't believe it either, until a co-worker who owns one showed me.

All of my previous cars, back to my 1997 Grand Am were 100 ft-lbs. Dunno about the Eagle as I didn't have it long enough to ever remove a wheel.

It has to do with M12 versus M14 stud sizing. Anything with an M14 is 150 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
781 Posts
How do you measure how much force you're using? I've never in all my life seen anyone measure the exact force to tighten lugs.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^yes... set torque amount, when it reaches torque, it releases and clicks usually..or the older style has a needle

Most reputable shops over here never use torque wrench for wheels but manually tighten using torque wrench and then you have to revist them without 100km for a re-torque/check

21 - 40 of 119 Posts