Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Factory Lugs suck or is it just me?

• Suck

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • You're nuts, they're just fine. (or is it just YOUR nuts?)

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've stripped two now and the dealership has stripped one. Up until recently I was able to get all said lug nuts off and replace due to having a spare set. The 19mm seems to give a little upon un-torqing them. All of them seem to have a very slight mar around the edges. Is it just me or should I be investing in a new 19mm? I have to get this last one removed because it's totaled.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
You talking about 'stripping' the outside where they have a stainless cover?

Good fitting wrench is needed to avoid damage, six point is better.

When you mention the 'give' it makes me think of a 12 point socket that got cracked, sometimes not easy to see that and it will open up and 'give' only under load.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You talking about 'stripping' the outside where they have a stainless cover?

Good fitting wrench is needed to avoid damage, six point is better.

When you mention the 'give' it makes me think of a 12 point socket that got cracked, sometimes not easy to see that and it will open up and 'give' only under load.
Yes, the outside cover just falls apart. I was fortunate to get the last couple off but this one is toast. Any tips?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Rip off any remaining cover if it's half off, then tap on a close fitting six point socket if the steel under the cover is messed up.

Remember that you can swap between metric & American in sockets, 3/4 for 19mm is the closest to try fitting first.

I had metric deep impacts by the millimeter to make that easier, still swapped with American for some items.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What works to remove the cover? Any recommendations for good after market brands? Gorillas have mixed reviews. I think I'm done with these oem lug nuts after this.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Gorilla's seem the best for popular aftermarket ones currently, options for type preferred.

Some folks go nuts over a rust speck, and up North with salt on roads that will happen to any eventually where the surface gets damaged.

Gorilla reports seem good for that, some can look poor after a few months.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heh Ford stuck those on my 2003 Jaguar X-Type they royally suck

I got a handful of wheel nuts from fellow member to replace the factory rusted ones on my 2006 SAP so I's thinking im going to replace them all but i need to find where the handful i got originally came from as several are factory shelled ones and the rest are solid unshelled ones..

on my Jag someones replaced the fronts they look factory but they are not they are coned the originals are sleeve with thick washer and im thinking new set for both.. sleeved with washer.. i dont trust the cone tip as they start to eat the rim and come loose

This is the style and set my Jag uses I'm thinking buying another set and having a local wheel refinishing shop bore and fit those nuts to fit the focus rims properly..
i have one focus rim that is no good as a few of the nuts ate the wheel nut hole and its now oversized

P.S. at the time my jaguar was built, Jaguar was owned by Ford so alot of the parts are interchangeable and my local Ford Performance Shop has no issues fixing my car at 1/3 the price of the Jaguar dealer and they use the same parts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't use a impact wrench
Use a Breaker-bar with a well fitting socket
Use a torque wrench to tighten .
I think the hammer effect of a Impact wrench
Causes the Soft outer shell of the Wheel nut to expand.
I just replace 5 nuts on my Focus

·
Registered
580 Posts
Correct!

The lug nuts have a cosmetic layer (I think stainless steel or aluminum) around a more durable core (steel).

The cosmetic layer is bonded and then wrapped around the core. If you over toque the nuts, especially if you use a 12 point to install and remove them, you will cause the cosmetic layer to separate from the core. Once this happens moisture get in and causes the cosmetic layer to "expand." If you then try to use a 12 point you basically can "deform" the cosmetic layer making it harder to remove the lug nut. This can be exacerbated if the lug nut is over torqued.

Honestly, if you don't care, you can still use the lug nuts after the cosmetic layers are toast. You'd need an 18 mm top install and remove them though.

A further note, most tire shops not only use an impact gun, but they use a 3/4 bit (not a 19 mm). The nut is actually a 19 mm and while for an intensive purposes a 19 mm and 3/4 are the same, when you over torque them the 3/4 has enough of a tolerance versus the 19 mm to cause extra damage.

I have a 1/2 drive 16" long ratchet (https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-1-2-in-drive-flex-head-quick-release-teardrop-ratchet?taxon_id=1845) and I use it to take off the lug nuts with my 6-point 19mm Deep Socket (also 1/2 inch so no adapters needed https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-9-pc-metric-6-pt-deep-1-2-in-dr-easy-to-read-socket-accessory-set?taxon_id=1847). Once hand snug I use my Torque wrench with that Deep Socket to do the final tightening.

If you always do your lugs by hand, you can get away with the 12-point Deep Socket, or using an extension or adapter. But once they get over torqued, separated, and basically stuck. The above wrench with a 6 point is basically your only friend.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^^works well.

I've got my own lazy habits, reinforced by tools on hand.

Breaker bar to loosen before jacking, then choice of ratchet/air wrench to run them off/on to snug, lower to ground & torque wrench to finish.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I honestly use the stock lug wrench remover in the trunk. The one for my ST is really nice. It's just a deep well 19 mm socket that flexes on a long handle. I use to use an 18 inch breaker bar and a 19 socket, but the one that comes with the car is great now.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
that is why i buy ONLY the one piece acorn lug nuts. ev ery tire place i know down here has issues with them damn stainless BS things.

Reactions: Juicedz

·
Registered
113 Posts
Absolutely agree with this right here.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
im replacing all of mine with the single piece ones but the layout of the jag nuts.
i know my jag nuts fit the focus studs so im going to locate a dealer who will give me a batch deal on say 60 of them for all my cars.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
Just a warning to anyone interested, if you take your car to walmart for tires, flats or rotation. Make sure to mention you want them to finger tighten the lugs first. They will just impact them lugs on the car and cross thread them bad boys all the way. They did it to my wife's neon. And that goes for any tire place really.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
suck.

this should be a poll.

Reactions: sailor
1 - 20 of 119 Posts