Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is directed at anyone or should I say any moron who thinks you should stake the axle nut. DON"T DO IT !!!

I'm out there trying to break lose the axle nut and DECIDED TO TAKE A REAL CLOSE LOOK AT IT AND SURE ENOUGH SOME BONE HEAD THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO FLATTEN ONE SIDE OF THE NUT.

In case you are not aware of this you just destroyed the nut and possibly the threads on the axle. The only way to remove it is to grind off one side of the nut , which may or may not be possible. And you might just destroy the axle in the process. Which means I'm not going to fix the bearing on that side and instead sell the car. Whether this was done for spite or just because they thought it was the right thing to do no one knows. Mechanics that don't like you get away with this sort of thing. How anyone would do this thinking it was correct needs to find another profession. Like cleaning toilets. Which they'd probably screw up too.

Lou

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what you have to do when you stake the axle nut. Using an air cut off wheel with a small disc I ground off the flat side. You go from moosing off the nut to delicately trying to cut the side of the nut that is hammered flat without slipping and cutting the axle threads. Good luck. 1/2" breaker bar with half of the scissors jack handle added. Just when you think the breaker bar will break it comes loose. Better to use a 3/4" breaker bar and socket. And heat that nut red / yellow hot hot. But first make sure it's not staked. You need a torch, not some funky butane tank. Now I can shop a new axle nut, thanks to who ever did this. Axle threads are still good. Those Youtube videos don't tell the rest of the story. Always easy peasy. Yeah, right. Anything for a subscription.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yeah, and this idiot used locktite as well on the back face of the washer. You can burn that crap off with a nice hot oxy torch. Which is one good reason to heat those suckers red hot. Then spray with a mixture of oil and mineral spirits. No flames. Just plenty of smoke that kills mosquitoes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That sounds like a bad situation! I believe that nut is supposed to be torqued to 250 lbs and you're done. Smashing one side just sounds like a bad idea considering you're likely to ruin the axle in the process.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
That nut appears to be the type that is crushed across the end to make it self locking by no longer being round at the very end, meaning it may have not been staked at all, just looked like it. As well if you can't find the correct nut you can often use the older type which DO STAKE and I've never had trouble getting them off either. You DO have to grind a bit to do so but intelligent staking has that work to a minimum and will not hurt the axle. Removing staked spots is an art that is learned like any other. I've even reused the nut before when forced to with no issues other than appearance. On Tempo cars I simply staked them again in another spot.

Loctite melts at 600 degrees, no need to get the part red hot, that is way too hot and can kill any heat treat there.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
351 Posts
Since you didn't post a before pic which would have been a good idea I can't judge what you considered staking. They may have just damaged the nut by hammering it with a sledge if they tried to get the axle out of the steering knuckle or it was just an inexperienced person that had staked a nut before in a different vehicle that specified to. Though yes, the loctite was a bad idea on an axle nut.
A dremel probably would have worked to grind/cut the smashed in portion as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was staked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't try and change the fact that it was. There is no such thing as a an Axle nut that is designed with a flat side. Take my word for it. Self locking nuts and staked nuts are two different animals. Anyone that buys an Axle nut today is able to screw it onto the axle. If they don't mess with it they will be able to remove it. I've been rebuilding cars all my life and know what I'm talking about. You ,don't stake axle nuts, PERIOD. Anyone that does or leads anyone to think it's okay to do so is an idiot who doersn't know anything about cars or machinery. And a puny ass Dremel might have worked if you did not mind spending three hours and 12 discs to make a dent in that steel.. That nut represents an air cut off wheel and a small very sharp chisel. After I removed the flat, I was able to twist it loose. End of story. Anyone on this web site that promotes or condones staking an axle nut for whatever reason is doing a disservice to anyone interested in working on their own car and contributing to making peoples lives miserable. Like I said, it was hammered with a very heavy hammer which could have messed up the axle as well as the nut. The correct replacement cost for the correct nut made by Ford is $25.00.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Whoa, take it easy. You posted no pic of what you're complaining about. You only showed a pic of your grinded away nut so really what is it that we have to go by here?
Believe it or not there are machines that do specify to stake an axle nut. On a Focus I think not but if someone has done it before on another application I can see how they would think it was the right thing to do if they are inexperienced.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Like I said there are applications that have staked axle nuts: Schley Products, Inc 13000 $53.99 Staked Axle Nut Punch Kit | Zoro.com
Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Subaru have staked axle nuts as well as lots of farm machinery.
There is a dimple in the axle for where you are supposed to stake the nut on these applications. If there is no dimple then it shouldn't be done.
Also, my Dremel suggestion works well and was even posted in reviews of that stake removal tool as a good alternative. I actually use my Dremel all the time at work and it's quite effective if you know how to use it properly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well as far as I'm concerned and using what little brains God gave me, it doesn't make any sense staking an axle nut when you torque the darn thing to 233 ft. lb. Staking it is overkill to say the least. If those companies say it's necessary to flatten one side of the axle nut on the outer edge where the self locking tabs are located then that's just poor design and bad instructions. I would never in a million years do that knowing I was making it impossible to remove the nut without destroying it and possibly the axle threads. Tighten to 233 ft. lbs and drive it. Leave the darn thing round and removable. Not only that, who's got a torque wrench that goes to 233ft. lbs. Mine only goes to 150 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
'You ,don't stake axle nuts, PERIOD.'

That is absolutely incorrect.

Ford themselves show it in earlier service manuals of FWD cars through the '80s and '90s. And you better be ready to deal with it in all Honda motorcycles through about 30 years of production, the rear wheels do it.

Some axle nuts do not have any dimple, they do have a raised lip above the hex flats (look at OP pic) to put the stake in at, you can beat with hammer or better is a slightly dull round pointed punch to make a small hole and easily removed with dremel or drill and drill bit like said in 5 minutes, I've done it enough. Some axles have a keyway at the end that you punch into with the stake.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
'I would never in a million years do that knowing I was making it impossible to remove the nut without destroying it....'

One does know that Ford recommends changing about every little nut and bolt on the cars now right? What TTY parts are intended to do, one time use only. So, saving it really not much of an option now. Although I have used staked parts more than once before (you HAD to on the motorcycles), you just restake in another spot. What a nice clean closely located dremel stake removal job can allow. I too consider dremels as indispensible tools.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your not listening. You don't get it. Stop trying to convince people that staking an axle nut is okay. What's the matter with you. That's a $25 to $30 dollar nut your destroying along with damaging the threads on the axle. Are you insane ? . You make it sound like cutting off an Axle nut was normal procedure to change the wheel bearings. Why would you do that ?
I think you like to argue and are contrary by nature. I'm not going to comment any further on this. If you want to stake an axle nut and be cursed by anyone that has to remove it then go right ahead. You'll be known as just another moron that staked an axle nut. .

·
Registered
351 Posts
You're not being logical at all. In this Focus application yes, it was not supposed to be staked as there was no dimple in the axle to stake it. Also, the nut that you took off was threaded all the way to the end which means it wasn't a stake nut.
However, you are trying to say that in no circumstance should an axle nut ever be staked and that's just not true. A quick online search shows that multiple manufacturers specify to stake axle nuts and those applications have the appropriate nuts and axle ends to do so. Stake nuts have a thin wall of non threaded area to bend easily. The axles will usually have a small dimpled section of missing material to stake into. There are even multiple tool kits made to remove the stake. What more evidence do you need that you are wrong in general on this?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You probably walked into dealership to buy a simple CV axle nut they are under $10 all day long.
You are so wrong on this subject it is unbelievable.
Oh I also have a torque wrench that goes to 250 ft lb. Most mechanics have several for different applications.
I would have that cut off with a Dremel in under 30 minutes easy.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus ZX3 SE, 2.0L Duratec, Automatic
5 Posts
My '07 has single-use drive axle nuts. They are "pre-crushed" and cannot be reused. Staked or not, a lot of the Ford drive axle nuts are not able to be reinstalled (by anyone with a brain or a warranty to cover). So the complaint that staking them destroys the nuts or renders them unusable is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts