Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 focus has that annoying squeak that we know all too well. I checked the e brake line and it all looks like they're still in good shape. No sign of wearing out. Though I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right cable. Is it the one with the rubber casing in the pic?

[/IMG]

But what I did notice that the rubber piece on the rear end link is breaking off. Could this be causing the squeak too? And another thing I noticed when replicating the sound by pushing down on the rear suspension, I can barely hear the squeak, but when I'm driving I can hear it clearly.

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Right cable, where that goes through a holder further out is the usual spot for a squeak (wears down to metal on metal).

Rubbers on the links are wearing, still good squish on them so I doubt that is a noise source or problem yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right cable, where that goes through a holder further out is the usual spot for a squeak (wears down to metal on metal).

Rubbers on the links are wearing, still good squish on them so I doubt that is a noise source or problem yet.
Thanks, I'll investigate with the e cable again tomorrow and see if I find anything.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's the ebrake cable. You'll know it's the one because it diverges out from the center of the car to either rear tire...where the cable goes through a metal eyelet just slap some grease on it and the sound should go away. Gotta love simple fixes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm willing to bet it's the ebrake cable. You'll know it's the one because it diverges out from the center of the car to either rear tire...where the cable goes through a metal eyelet just slap some grease on it and the sound should go away. Gotta love simple fixes.
I'm hoping it is too. Though I'll probably wrap it with a rubber hose and ziptie it down.

Next on the list is to figure out the metal clank sound I get when cranking the wheel and moving over bump and slopes. Hopefully it's just the stab link.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I'm hoping it is too. Though I'll probably wrap it with a rubber hose and ziptie it down.

Next on the list is to figure out the metal clank sound I get when cranking the wheel and moving over bump and slopes. Hopefully it's just the stab link.
This sounds like the front sway bar links, the stock ones have been known to wear out and then make all sorts of noise. Moog style ones are nice as you can grease them (zirks!) just make sure you tighten them back to spec and check them if you hear any noise to make sure they stayed torqued.

It could also be your sway bar not being centered and hitting frame, not as common but it could have moved a wee bit over the years. Jack car up, take wheels off and see if you can tell if its been hitting. Remove end links and try to push it back to center if you can.

Your rear endlink bushings are getting a little pancaked. You could buy a set of poly bushings with a new end link kit, easy job. As others said they are fine and likely not making noise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds like the front sway bar links, the stock ones have been known to wear out and then make all sorts of noise. Moog style ones are nice as you can grease them (zirks!) just make sure you tighten them back to spec and check them if you hear any noise to make sure they stayed torqued.

It could also be your sway bar not being centered and hitting frame, not as common but it could have moved a wee bit over the years. Jack car up, take wheels off and see if you can tell if its been hitting. Remove end links and try to push it back to center if you can.

Your rear endlink bushings are getting a little pancaked. You could buy a set of poly bushings with a new end link kit, easy job. As others said they are fine and likely not making noise.
Since you mentioned the sway bar, is it possible it's rubbing against something under my floorboard? I made a thread about it a few days ago. Another little problem I'm having lol Occasionally it does it especially in cod weather.

Also found some Moog links pretty cheap so I'll go ahead with that repair anyway :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Make sure you check them a few hundred miles after replacing, mine had loosened and were clunking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you check them a few hundred miles after replacing, mine had loosened and were clunking.
Good thing you caught that. Did you torque them to the correct spec?

Also the squeaking is gone! Just a bit of grease on the metal hanger holding it up did the trick. I was expecting to see a lot of wear and tear (none that I could see) which is why I overlooked that part.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I thought I did, but its possible I just didn't tighten enough. Glad you fixed it! My car had the same problem when I bought it, I applied some grease a year ago and the squeak hasn't come back since.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the Moog K80066 front end link parts from amazon.ca but the ones I got are different than the ones in the pic from amazon and Moog. They came in the official packaging and have the same part number but it doesn't have the brass (I think) where the zerk fittings are and the rubber part isn't as big. Is this a lesser quality link? Or probably an older version as it says 2011 on the box. I don't think it has the powdered metal gusher bearing.

This is what I was expecting to get:

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
No idea if they are lesser but they look alright. I have the lower pictured ones.

The main thing is that you can grease them. I would contact Amazon though and say that the part you were sent doesnt match the description and picture. Best case scenario they offer you a discount or some other incentive for you not to have to return them. As long as they are the same length and the bolts are the same, I think you should be fine

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contacted Moog through their facebook page and they replied right away!

"That is actually our improved design (and has a sealed boot now). It also has the MOOG gusher bearing inside"

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Contacted Moog through their facebook page and they replied right away!

"That is actually our improved design (and has a sealed boot now). It also has the MOOG gusher bearing inside"
cool, then you should be in even better shape [:)] Let us know if they quiet the front chatter down for you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts