Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been going back and reading all the 2012 posts. and one item has not been mentioned: does the Kysor Radiator Shutters opening and closing controlled exclusively by speed? or a combo of speed and temperature?
IF it includes temperature... is that only cooling system temps? or external temps?
So if it is minus 20 F they will stay closed at low speeds, until the system warms up? That WOULD be nice!
(The combo of temp and speed could explain some Canucks saying they saw shutter closed while car off, and others that it is open (me)
Added:
In cold climes, the 'closed when really cold external temps' would be a great added bonus to help warm up the car to provide heat faster...
(Also wonder if 'engine block heater included' has any bearing on the shutters...) ((my SE has the engine block heater, no charge)
I would think Southern destination cars would not include this?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Innovative active grille shutters
The new Focus features active grille shutters, an innovative new system, which helps optimize aerodynamics by using vents to control airflow through the grille to the cooling system and engine compartment.

If air is required to cool the engine, the vents are opened. If no airflow is needed the vents are shut, contributing to significantly reduced aerodynamic drag.

Mounted in the grille aperture ahead of the radiator, the active grille shutters feature motorized horizontal vanes that can rotate through 90 degrees to block the airflow. Automatically controlled by the car’s electronic control unit, the vanes can be rotated into 15 different positions – from fully closed to fully open – depending on the amount of cooling air required.

When fully closed, the reduction in drag means the active grille shutters can reduce CO2 emissions by 2 percent.

As an additional benefit, the system keeps the vanes closed as long as possible when starting from cold, so the engine reaches its most efficient operating temperature more quickly. This also helps reduce fuel consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIixELzJSP0

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34145

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being in northern Canada I was just wondering this myself. Thanks for the links and info.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!
Should be interesting this Winter.
Yesterday was the first day i used the heat. Plenty of it for moderate cold. have to see if it is good in sub zero!..
(I did not get the winter package in my off the lot car.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts