Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I got a great deal on to 7 inch monitors and a portable dvd player for my kona. And i need some advice on what exacly i need. I purchased 2 monitors for the headrest, a dvd player, and a fm modulator. Are there any other parts i might need? Also I like take pride at setting it up myself, but i would like to know how much effort goes to this, and if anyone has anyother advice. thanks!

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
well, i would start by selling the 2 tv's for the headrest, and realize that one tv in the car is enough, then go to any stereo shop that has a warranty do it unless you or your friends have a good handle on what they are doing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks and the advice...also does anyone have some pics of their car with this stuff...or can tell me a good place to hide the dvd player.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
how big is the DVD player? my brother has a 10 disc CD/DVD changer in his car. we mounted his on the side carpet piece in the trunk (passenger side). it was pretty easy, and looks pretty trick. also makes it very easy to run/hide the wires (just cram them back there!). if the player isn't too big and it comes with some mounting hardware, i'd recommend this setup. it allows for easy access while still leaving all your trunk space open. just have to keep other crap in your trunk from hitting it.

Mike

PS- as far as the monitors go, i would have to agree with llama. mounting them in the headrests is probably gonna be one giant PITA and probably not worth it in such a tiny car. i'd recommend getting and in-dash unit. they're easy to install and make more sense in such a small car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have my ps2 and my xbox under the passenger seat. its a squeeze, but it works. and yea, i also agree that i would have gotten the in dash first. although, screens visible to the driver may be illegal, i know they are in tx.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yall did give some good points on the monitor in-dash does sound better to have. But the reason i bought theses was that they were alot less inexpensive that the indash ones (and also it is illegal to have it). the portable dvd player is pretty small about the sive of a small cd changer.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
yes, any screen that is visible to the driver is illegal in ALL states, (except for police)

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
do you mean visible at all or are you talking about playing while in motion? how does it work when you have a factory menu screen that is a 5 or 6 inch lcd screen that looks just like an aftermarket screen and it's right in the dash? is that illegal?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
they're legal as long as you don't have it on while going down the street. they come with an extra wire that you have to hook up to the e-brake light. it senses when the light is on (meaning your parking brake is engaged and the car should be at a complete stop), and only thn does it allow the monitor to come on.

of course, this was not good enough for my brother, so he bypassed this. the wire in the e-brake that they want you to tap is essentially a ground. all we did was ground the sensor wire coming off the monitor, but we also hooked up a hidden switch. he flips the switch, and the monitor is killed instantly.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts