Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I dunno. This is the first time I've started it now for about a week and a half, temperature is 50*F more or less....

anyway, I just came out of my front door and i noticed something shiny under the car, and it was a little puddle (yeah I'd had the car on for a minute or so). I moved it, and (lol) smelled the puddle, and it was a bit sweet, but probably just condensation is my guess. also, when I made this video, today, right after, it was spewing a little bit of that white smoke, now I'm not sure if it's because of the temperature, or if it's because......well you know what :p. my guess is still on the temperature, but look at all that water coming out the back!

two questions then: am I ok, no effed up head? and does that look like there's an exhaust leak between the flex and extension pipe (I can just tighten that up, I checked a few weeks back, but maybe it got loose...)?

ok, pics obviously........

And of course the video:

Well...... if there's nothing wrong, please still enjoy the wonderful SPI Symphony [rofl] [popcorn]

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Looks to me like you have an exhaust leak b/c of the black deposits on your flange there. If so then condensation could be leaking out there too giving you the puddle. Im guessing its just condensation.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to me like you have an exhaust leak b/c of the black deposits on your flange there. If so then condensation could be leaking out there too giving you the puddle. Im guessing its just condensation.
yup thanks........that's about my best guess cause it's all wet there, and I never checked it a while after i installed it..... I'd just be able to tighten it, right?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
did you use new gaskets??

also lick the pudle and tell me what it taste like,

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

yeah I know, we didn't use a new gasket........ but we did clean the crap out of it and it looked new.....

hmm..... I almost thought about tasting it, too. lol.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
No it doesnt count you gotta do it while its still fresh!

dipping and tasting later doesnt count! Lmao!

your post is quote worthy!

I might make it my sig!

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
its just condensation. the gasket looks like its bad or its not tight enough yet. Did you replace it when you put your new exhaust on...btw what kind is that?? i like it

·
Registered
324 Posts

haha, thats funny... how cold was it outside when you took that video?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes. You do worry a bit too much, lol. But I take it you are still young so don't worry about it and ask questions 'til your hearts content. As they say, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

... and your puddling is condensation from the exhaust which is normal and more prevalent during colder periods.
For the leak at the flex you may want to just use some copper gasket maker, not copper spray. Just make sure the surfaces are decently clean, wire brush is all you need to do stuff sticks pretty well.

In watching different vehicles on the road I have noticed the Chevy Vortec equipped trucks seem to have the most water out the tail pipe.

/end stupid mindless info lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ mm yes I am still young..... 16. lol. I'll have to say I agree though, being more careful about it than not. Speaking of which, I was doing a compression check on a friends car the other day and I noticed his tires looked really low.... well guess what, they were 16psi low [:0] Now the thing that made me just get so annoyed was when he said "Wow now my car doesn't bounce and wobble when I'm driving!" duh dude, you're running on half-inflated tires....

anyway, back to this: is it possible the two have just become loose because the bolts have loosened a bit? if I do have to get another gasket or some gasket maker, do i have to take off the extension pipe or something of that sort? or what, do I just spray around the flange and it just kinda seals up......

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its just condensation. the gasket looks like its bad or its not tight enough yet. Did you replace it when you put your new exhaust on...btw what kind is that?? i like it
yeah no, I didn't replace it, just took it off and had my buddy get the crap off of it and make sure it's not cracked or bent or anything... (says the damn instructions "You don't need to replace the gasket.......whatever [rolleyes]) it's been fine though, but I have not checked to see if it was still tight yet. Oh, and it's the err.... Magnaflow cat back system, stainless steel (actually magnaflow, not trubendz; and it's technically the flex-back though. lol) that I got from magnaflowplanet.com cause apparently they don't sell directly. lol. thanks.

um let's see....I think two posts down from this was a question about temp? It was about 50*F, probably a little less, so that would explain all the whiteness.

mmm....... "CON-DEN-SATION sation sation..."

ok really though, that's not a natural amount of water coming out.... foci's been sitting in the driveway for about two weeks and it's rained 2 or 3 times, so that probably explains all the water in there...... still made me laugh to see it come out like that, though.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
anyway, back to this: is it possible the two have just become loose because the bolts have loosened a bit? if I do have to get another gasket or some gasket maker, do i have to take off the extension pipe or something of that sort? or what, do I just spray around the flange and it just kinda seals up......

Well I see split lock washers, their job is to apply opposing force and hold the bolt/nut tight, so I would assume the surfaces are a bit out of flat and the gasket is a touch too small to fill the void completely (or just worn out).

Actually looking at this again:

Looks like the lock washers are a bit on the old side (to put it kindly [:)] ). Which may be the reason they seemed to be a bit loose before. I'd say to stop by the hardware store (bulk section) and pick up a couple lock washers and 4 flat washers and just bolt it back together for now to see the result, may not need gasket maker. The flat washers should spread the load of the nut/bolt and possibly keep it from leaking near the bottom (as is the intention of a washer, spread the load). Doesn't matter if the fit real tight or not, just so the head of the bolt/nut does not slip through the hole, 1/2" looks close.
So parts list for today,
2 - 1/2" split lock washers
4 - 1/2" flat washers
grand total of under a buck, or should be

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm.......now thinking back.... gah! my buddy put the split lock washer on the wrong side (it's supposed to go under the nut, right?) it's new hardware by the way, well, it was when I put it on...... new bolts, new washers, new nuts...... don't have flat washers on there, though. So if I'm getting this right, no washers should be on the head side of the bolt, but just between the flange and the nut is where the split lock and flat washers would go?

and I do believe I have a nice box of various washers......[thumb]

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Yeah, you might want to put a gasket on there. That's most likely the source of your problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts