Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

At the start of the summer my car was working fine, but then the timing belt broke. :( After about 3 months in someone's shop - he hardly ever got around to it - it was finally 'fixed.' He came discovered a new problem though. He told my mom that I had probably been "hot rodding" the car, and as a result 2nd gear was in bad condition. He recommended rebuilding the transmission or getting a new one. I had no idea what he was talking about; 95% of the time I'm trying to get good gas mileage. Is there an explanation as to how my transmission went from fine to cumbersome?

The Problem:

When I started driving the car again it was immediately noticeable, about 50% of the time when you were going from 1st to 2nd, the gears would scrap. Although, if you threw 2nd back hard enough it would engage. This whole problem is usually avoided if you make perfect shifts. So I from that point on I skipped 2nd gear, but I really would like to get it fixed. I asked a friend and he thought that that the synco's might be off.. does that seem right?

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like the person is giving you a load of bs. Maybe he was out pounding on it himself? Could be something simple has the shift cables needed alignment?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The MTX75 tranny is the same in Focus and earlier Contours
That manual transmission can be hard to shift if the clutch is not bled perfectly.
I (personally) would definitely rebleed the clutch carefully IF you did not have such a big problem before the fix that guy did.
That just might make it good enough for you to be happy with it.

The transmission is hard to get fixed, and i had mine rebuilt in my SVT Contour for a LOT of money. for not much better performance. Mostly it was due to the differential breaking on my car.
I would say use it as it is, bleed the clutch.

And yeah, the cables and shift tower might not be aligned.
There is a separate shift tower in the transmission that can rotate and cause shifting issues separate from the actual gears inside.
When i had my MTX75 fixed they 'pinned' that shift tower so it could not rotate.
Only a real expert should 'rebuild' a MTX75.
The guy I had do it was in Michigan and did the SVT Contour racecar trannies..
I dug up his name off the Contour dot org website a few years ago.

Checking the shift cables line up on the outside of the tranny is also a good idea. A shop manual has the directions to know if they are aligned right. How to check that shift tower in the tranny is way beyond me.
(the cables at the shifter inside by the driver are not likely to get messed up and have a strong connection. At the shift connection to the tranny they are weak, small, very breakable plastic tabs.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
rebuilding the SVT getrag mt285 is expensive because getrag really doesnt make rebuild kits! IIRC, you can get synchros from BMW, but theyre expensive!

Best bet: find a used one in good working order.

But, first, I'd replace the transfluid. Call Steve at Toulsey ford and get the getrag trans fluid! You'll need 2 quarts (manual says 2.1 qts, but figure the .1 is left in the trans). REMOVE THE FILL PLUG FIRST! If you can't remove that, then no point in pulling the drain plug!

While youre draining the trans, adjust the shift cables. I hardly believe that a t belt swap alone would cause the trans to start grinding UNLESS when he disconnected the pass motor mount he didn't support the engine/trans properly and put a bind on the cables....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice/help. Hopefully I can get this sorted out... I miss 2nd gear :'(

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The MTX75 tranny is the same in Focus and earlier Contours
That manual transmission can be hard to shift if the clutch is not bled perfectly.
I (personally) would definitely rebleed the clutch carefully IF you did not have such a big problem before the fix that guy did.
That just might make it good enough for you to be happy with it.

The transmission is hard to get fixed, and i had mine rebuilt in my SVT Contour for a LOT of money. for not much better performance. Mostly it was due to the differential breaking on my car.
I would say use it as it is, bleed the clutch.

And yeah, the cables and shift tower might not be aligned.
There is a separate shift tower in the transmission that can rotate and cause shifting issues separate from the actual gears inside.
When i had my MTX75 fixed they 'pinned' that shift tower so it could not rotate.
Only a real expert should 'rebuild' a MTX75.
The guy I had do it was in Michigan and did the SVT Contour racecar trannies..
I dug up his name off the Contour dot org website a few years ago.

Checking the shift cables line up on the outside of the tranny is also a good idea. A shop manual has the directions to know if they are aligned right. How to check that shift tower in the tranny is way beyond me.
(the cables at the shifter inside by the driver are not likely to get messed up and have a strong connection. At the shift connection to the tranny they are weak, small, very breakable plastic tabs.
You need to go back to the Zetec forum.... the SVT has a getreg 285 6 speed in it so everything you just typed was useless in this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts