Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. Do I need a press for the rear bearings?

I have the bearings and will be popping them apart to pack with Amsoil racing grease. But I don't have a press. So I'm wondering if I can do this myself.

I searched a bit for a good DIY and haven't come across one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Should use a press.

Popping them apart doesn't sound like a good idea.... How are you going to deal with the seals?

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
I've only done the front, but we had to use a press for sure. I'd imagine its the same in the rear. Got any gearhead buddies with a garage? Just take the hub and bearing over, and you can get it done quick :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should use a press.

Popping them apart doesn't sound like a good idea.... How are you going to deal with the seals?
Changing grease in sealed bearings is pretty simple. Racers do it all the time.

If you look inside the bearing you can see the split in the middle between the 2 races. Slide some washers in the groove and use a socket to pop them apart. It pops the seal right out without damage. Clean out the unknown grease and put in a good quality known grease and reassemble.

Here's an example

How big of a press do I need? I can borrow a small hand powered arbor press from work.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Had to ask, many posting here wouldn't understand your explanation of disassembly. I haven't seen the ones with a metal seal on one side apart myself, if that has a rubber lip that works the same you should be OK greasing them. Haven't tried this with Focus rear wheel bearings with that metal seal so I can't be sure how they're assembled.

Small arbor press may do it, if you know how to grease those bearings you know to use an old bearing shell or something that size for a press drift. Getting them apart may take more force than installing the new ones, may have to drive those out.

P.S. - looked at the Miata info, these are a bit different as they are 'cassette" bearings with an outer shell to be pressed out & back in after removing the circlip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. - looked at the Miata info, these are a bit different as they are 'cassette" bearings with an outer shell to be pressed out & back in after removing the circlip.
Yes the Miata is a bit different. One side is sealed by the cap on the hub after it's bolted to the spindle. But there is no circlip. But the principle should be the same. I have seen other sealed press in bearings getting this same kind of service.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to buy the whole rear hub? Yea it is more.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to buy the whole rear hub? Yea it is more.
A good price is little over $100 for the hub assembly from Ford. Complete Timken ones go for ~$140 on Rockauto, whereas a Timken bearing is under $30 at Rockauto.

I prefer to reuse the original Ford hub before going aftermarket.
I've seen too many issues with aftermarket front hubs shearing that I don't want to discover issues with aftermarket rear hubs.

I have use of a press and the one time I didn't, the local NAPA pressed the bearings on two hubs for $25-$30.

Now when I go to a track event, I always carry an extra hub, both rear spindles an extra hub nut and ABS ring in case a bearing goes during the trip.

It is no fun tracking down parts/press on a Saturday or Sunday to get the car back on track or home.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Now when I go to a track event, I always carry an extra hub, both rear spindles an extra hub nut and ABS ring in case a bearing goes during the trip.\

It is no fun tracking down parts/press on a Saturday or Sunday to get the car back on track or home.[/QUOTE]

Very true^^^^^^

·
Registered
17,502 Posts
You will not simply be tapping the seal back in place on many of these, the seal OD is bigger than the hole receiving it and must be rolled in place around the OD. Often popping it out damages it to be unuseable. The rubber seal edges are so dainty now they often tear with any handling at all.

Now if someone wants to take like Xacto knife and sequester himself away from the world to spend maybe half hour re-inserting that lip edge I say get to it.............

They seal up those bearing ends about 50 different ways depending on the seal specifications the maker wants there, some are easy to work on and some are intended to be damaged to force replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts