Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been having an issue regarding coolant in my engine. When I remove my spark plug caps I find coolant. My check engine light came on the other day and I had it tested and it said I had a misfire in my 4th cylinder. I checked out the thermostat housing unit and everything looks good there. I actually changed it about 2 years ago due to it cracking. Just seeing if anyone has any suggestions for alternative causes because I'd love to avoid changing the head gasket. I haven't had any other issues besides this. No smoke or steam like I've read others have had, no overheating, etc. Thanks!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

On the bright side, at least you'll get a good look at the internals on your engine and make sure that your valves are in good shape.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
When I remove my spark plug caps I find coolant.
Maybe a bit of elaboration is required before you remove the head unnecessarily. What do you mean by "spark plug caps"? If you're referring to the rubber boots at the end of the ignition wires that snap onto the spark plugs themselves, then it's not uncommon to find some fluids in there, although it's less than ideal, obviously. The spark plug wells can fill with oil from a leaking valve cover gasket, fluid from the windshield washer piping or water from engine washing. Are you sure it's coolant?

If you're finding coolant in the cylinder bore after removing the spark plug, then that's a different story but you'd have to have a fairly large coolant leak, your coolant level would likely drop after some driving (and you'd generate white smoke from the tail pipe with a bad leak) and a compression test may show a lower than normal pressure reading.

A misfire may be caused by fluids sitting in the spark plug well causing electrical shorts.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
To add to that,

If it is coolant sitting on top of the spark plugs, there are 2 threaded plugs in the head below which are the coolant passages.
I seem to recall at least one person who had coolant leaking from those plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm referring to those rubber boots. I am positive its coolant. The fluid is a lime green color, just like the coolant I use. I haven't removed the spark plugs themselves as of yet. I also thought about the misfire being caused by the coolant, but that still doesn't solve the problem of where its coming from... any suggestions as to how I can go about finding that out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If there is fluid in with your spark plugs it could be causing that plug to short out through the liquid and cause it to run rough too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
it's probally spraying from a pin hole in a hose or something like that. A head gasket leak would not land up there. Pressurize your system with a pressure tester and move the hoses around to see if you can find any thing.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I should have asked for more elaboration. Sorry to steer you wrong. Go with the easiest first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, from some research I've been doing it looks like I can add a sealant to the cooling system that may seal a small leak. How bad is that to use?!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I can't advise you to use anything that might cause a blockage in the system. I would try to track down the exact source of the leak first.

Try drying up all the coolant there now and then laying down some cardboard to see if it is dripping from above. If it is as simple as a little leak in a hose, then it makes more sense to change the hose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand what you're saying. My issue is that the leak must be internal because the only misplaced coolant is showing up in the spark plug wells right?. So could that really be a leaking hose? I would think a hose would leak outside the engine, not inside. lol But what the hell do I know?!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Did you check the threaded plugs that iminhell was talking about? Maybe pull the valve cover and take a look at those and see what is up. It is only on top of the plugs, not in the cylinder, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts