Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased iridium ngk plugs but the guy at the counter said there was no gapping info and said to gap them at .050 but I thought you weren't suppose to gap platinum and iridiums. They are currently at .036. Are they ok to run like this or should I try to gap?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
you need to gap them, if i remember correctly the proper gap is .052 to .058

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
off NGK.com

Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.
Personally, we at sparkplugs.com, gap our iridium plugs for our own vehicles (we’re rebels). If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, please refer to Proper Gapping for instruction.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cheap round gauge is for CHECKING gap, NOT for setting it....

A proper gaping tool bends the SIDE electrode WITHOUT touching the center electrode....

That is the ONLY way to "properly" gap a plug...

Luck!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Denso gives directions on gapping their plugs.
http://www.densoiridium.com/installationguide.php

Cheap round gauge is for CHECKING gap, NOT for setting it....
OK, not to be a jerk, buuuuut are you sure you're using it right? The hole is not there so you can put it on a key ring and carry it around. You slip the end of the back-strap into the hole, and then pry back against the curve of the back-strap. The inside of the hole is beveled to hold the back-strap more securely. If you go too far, then set your round tool on the pavement and tap it down lightly.

I searched for pics, but couldn't find one showing the correct method. I'll make my own pic if anyone is not sure of what's written. It might be a while though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts