Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the tires for the 2012 Focus are in the 215 width.
So i wondered do 225's fit in there without any rubbing?
(I stuck 225's on my former SVT which had 215's stock and no problems.)
Just curious...
I sort of would stick 225.50.17 on and the Conti's would give an increase of
805/818= 1.01615 increas in rolling diameter...(or at 65 MPH indicated 66mph.
Like i said, not to get all into the speed increase, just the fitment. Will the larger tire fit with no rubbing? (it is 0.4 "inches greater diameter, and about the same in increase in width in and out.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I forgot about that.
I probably will not just toss the OEM tires, but just to know...
I enjoy looking at Tire Rack... LOL!
A tire nerd?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Thanks, I forgot about that.
I probably will not just toss the OEM tires, but just to know...
I enjoy looking at Tire Rack... LOL!
A tire nerd?
I think I'm worse. I currently plan on getting 15" LRR (possibly winter-specific) tires and steelies from Tire Rack. I then plan on making my own aero wheel covers by melting #1 plastic bottles in a 15" pizza pan.

I have a problem. [wiggle]

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think I'm worse. I currently plan on getting 15" LRR (possibly winter-specific) tires and steelies from Tire Rack. I then plan on making my own aero wheel covers by melting #1 plastic bottles in a 15" pizza pan.

If you go through with that, please-please-please post photos!!!

:)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suddenly am interested in aero wheels, and wonder why no one has made any cool, and beautiful and aerodynamicalloy wheels?
I am certain great looking and aero wheel designs exist.
Just no one is making them. If one of the big alloy wheel makers would just do a little aero testing, i bet the could have some killer wheel designs.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I'll be switching to winter LRR on my car in November or so. I am planning to keep the same size tire overall. I just haven't decided if I want to put them on steel wheels of their own or just swap them out.

Either way I'll just use the ford aero covers until I find something better. Been thinking it is possible to get the plastic wheel covers chromed.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'll be switching to winter LRR on my car in November or so. I am planning to keep the same size tire overall. I just haven't decided if I want to put them on steel wheels of their own or just swap them out.

Either way I'll just use the ford aero covers until I find something better. Been thinking it is possible to get the plastic wheel covers chromed.
Hmm.. I could paint the melted Mtn Dew bottles...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmm.. I could paint the melted Mtn Dew bottles...
Heh, that you could. And as an added bonus the soda looks like radiator fluid.

Now I wan some mt. Dew...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, the 235 tyres on the 18" rims, when fitted from the factory, have a steering limiter fitted. Mine has them and it has quite a wide turning circle...
Chris

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi, the 235 tyres on the 18" rims, when fitted from the factory, have a steering limiter fitted. Mine has them and it has quite a wide turning circle...
Chris
Yes, this is true. You may have rubbing because your steering has a tighter turning radius with the smaller rim package.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Remember offset also makes a difference. The 18" rims have less offset than the smaller wheels, pushing them out further to avoid rubbing as well. More than just the tire width makes a difference.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chris
Hmm this I didn't know. I was going to say my car has kind of a wide turning radius...that would explain it!

As for the topic, this whole "melted bottle" thing sound horrific. It sounds like you're trying to make the car look like a crappier version of Fast & the Furious. Why would you want to do that?!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hmm this I didn't know. I was going to say my car has kind of a wide turning radius...that would explain it!

As for the topic, this whole "melted bottle" thing sound horrific. It sounds like you're trying to make the car look like a crappier version of Fast & the Furious. Why would you want to do that?!
Hahaha - I'm not doing this for looks - strictly gas mileage.

EDIT: That and I don't want to buy hub caps. Plus, I like the environment so why not recycle for myself?
EDIT^2: I might also paint them to look metallic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put [notoriously soft side-walled] Continental DWS 225/50-17s, on 7" rims, on my 06 Acura TSX, in place of the OEM 215/50-17s. These things are like marshmallows, handling-wise. These Contis are no heavier than the OEM Michelins, but the small change in overall diameter has made a marked difference in butt-dyno power. I now only use 6th gear on the highway, and often downshift to pass through traffic on the city or the highway.

The "fuel economy bars" on my Acura seem to indicate that I'm using more fuel, because of the increased load on the drivetrain, despite the increased overall diameter, and lower rpm at the same speed, resulting from that larger diameter.

It's funny, but I'm looking for information on going to a 225/50/16, on the OEM Ford 6.5" rim. I don't think the Focus has enough torque to handle a 2% increase in OD, for fuel economy reasons, and withouth going to a wider 7.5" rim, I don't see any handling gains in going to a 225/50. Don't forget that the sidewall of a 225/50 IS taller than the sidewall of a 215/50, but that the increase in OD only raises the car half of the difference in OD.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I don't think the Focus has enough torque to handle a 2% increase in OD, for fuel economy reasons...
That makes so much sense! I was wondering if I could like... drop a smaller gear in here or something to use less fuel while driving 65mph (and 2.3k rpm or something) since our cars shift into 6th at 35mph. But putting on larger tires should have the same effect! Hmm...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That makes so much sense! I was wondering if I could like... drop a smaller gear in here or something to use less fuel while driving 65mph (and 2.3k rpm or something) since our cars shift into 6th at 35mph. But putting on larger tires should have the same effect! Hmm...
Do you have a manual transmission? or an automatic?
The automatic has a higher final drive ratio than the manual. (higher lower is confusing, The auto can go at a speed with lower RPM than the top gear in the manual)
I think that is why the auto get better MPG than the manual tranny.
i wonder if making the tires bigger to equal the diff in final drive ratio could give me that mpg back.
The car really sips gas with the engine at low RPMs.
If i could drive at 45mph all the time i would be hitting the high 40's [8D]
With 50 I am in the low 40s..
I wish i could get 44mpg at 55mph...
So that is one reason i want a little bigger tire. i could go crazy and get a 215/55/17... that is a lot bigger...
205/55/17
225/50/17
Anyway, i still like to look at Tire Rack as much as my friends like to look at fashion mags.. Those are good too, but my friends see NOTHING looking at tires...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission? or an automatic?... i wonder if making the tires bigger to equal the diff in final drive ratio could give me that mpg back.
Yup, automatic. You just have to make sure your tire isn't too large in diameter (or too wide) to turn and not hit the wheel well. :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Eclipse has also 215/50-17 stock. A 225/50-17 is a lot taller than the 215s and will most likely rub. I race on 225/45 and daily drive on 235/45 (all 17" wheels - 6.5", 7.5", and 8" wide)
Personally I would not recomend fitting 225/50s..but 225/45s instead [thumb]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts