Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my own turbo. I've seperating and removed the exhaust manifold on the turbo to expose the turbine blade shaft. That shaft is turned by a brushless turbine thats activated by a momentary switch. It take alot of power (electrical) to do this, so it only runs in short bursts, used kind of like nitrous. But the motor i have spins to about 40,000 RPM. Just to see if it could be done. You still have to run the oil inlet/outlet.
I guess the esaiest way to desribe it is cutting the turbo in half, throwing out the exhaust side and finding a way to spin the turbine shaft yourself. My boost guage is reading about 3 to 3.5 pounds. All this talk about these crappy electric superchargers finally drove me craziness to try to devolpe my own design.
Any one interested in this, I wouldn't reccomend it. The turbine motor is a bit over $250, battery is another $125, and the turbo is whatever you can get them for (check your salvage yards). Just thought I'd share. Have at it guys, yes I have to much time alone I guess.[boxface][boxface]

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
sounds like a pretty cool project. pics?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. Pics would also be cool.

But once you rode in a truly turbo'd foci, you'd want the real thing! [thumb]

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I think that's referred to as a stupercharger( read, stupid charger). Anyway, sounds like a fun little experiment, and i bet its 100x better then an ebay electric stupercharger. is it mounted on your car? i want pics and a dyno, just for fun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you'll have to run a gear or pulley drive to raise the rpm that the compressor wheel spins to. Similar to a centrifugal supercharger. Otherwise, I don't think you'll build any boost to speak of at 40k rpm.

With that said, it really depends on the cfm output of your contraption and if it puts out more than your engine can take in.

BTW- All turbos are technically "superchargers" by definition. [poke]

"stupercharger" is good though [rofl]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
40k rpm is really on the low side, most turbos run closer to 100k rpm.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The father of the electric supercharger, Thomas Knight, did close to the same thing. He used an Eaton roots style supercharger and modified the nose drive to be turned by electric motors rather than a belt turned by the engine.

With 2-4 batteries, or 1-2 batteries and an upgraded alternator, his design could supply up to 15psi of nos style boost every 5-10 minutes depending on your recharging (aka, alternator) capabilities.

It's always been something I've been interested in (since I work with electric motors every day..) But the nos style boost is all we'll be seeing until our battery technology advances some more.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How much current will be drawn? I would think that a 200a alternator and a deep cycle battery would be fine if you add a decent sized capacitor. Similar to an audio system. Its when the motor first starts turning that it will peak right?

I would think you need to find the most efficient rpm for the motor and use gearing to get the rpm you want at the compressor wheel. I think you'll need to get at least 70k rpm to get much out of it. A roots style charger builds boost at a much lower rpm but with a lot more loss in efficiency.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll load up the pictures tonight for you guys. I used a drushless EDF ducted motor to spin the turbine. They use those motors for electric airplanes. The power comes from a second battery (car battery) I have laying around from my 78 volare. 790 cold cranking amps I believe. Still, its a complete waste of time, but I had to try it. My boost gauge reads almost nil after about 5K. Engine's drawing to much air me thinks. Heres the specs on the motor.
44mm Inrunner Brushless Motor 830KV* MAX RPM: 42,000 rpm
Max Power: 3800W
Max Thrust: 6Kg
Battery: 22.2V 5000 - 6000mAh 25C 6S x 2 ,
Or 44.4V 5000 - 6000mAh 25C 12S.
* Recommended ESC: >85A

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I work in a junkyard by the way, which is a 43 acre playground for me. This is where these stupid ideas come from.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
sounds like fun, ever make a turbo jet? i have a turbo i planned on doing it with, but just never got around to doing it yet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll load up the pictures tonight for you guys. I used a drushless EDF ducted motor to spin the turbine. They use those motors for electric airplanes. The power comes from a second battery (car battery) I have laying around from my 78 volare. 790 cold cranking amps I believe. Still, its a complete waste of time, but I had to try it. My boost gauge reads almost nil after about 5K. Engine's drawing to much air me thinks. Heres the specs on the motor.
44mm Inrunner Brushless Motor 830KV* MAX RPM: 42,000 rpm
Max Power: 3800W
Max Thrust: 6Kg
Battery: 22.2V 5000 - 6000mAh 25C 6S x 2 ,
Or 44.4V 5000 - 6000mAh 25C 12S.
* Recommended ESC: >85A
Sounds to me like it COULD work. Its all about the gearing to get the rpms up. Got me thinking...... you could really control the way you build boost with an electric motor. Just get a large enough voltage regulator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does work, but you confuses the shit out of my MAF. Its just not worth it. Theres so much parasitic loss when its not in use since your drawing air through the turbine all the time. The more I learn about cars, the less you know. I just get so sick of people who have posts that say " I want to add horsepower but I don't have alot of money". I have all these kids that come to me with these visions of grandure, and I keep telling them that no matter what there thinking, its $20.00 per horsepower. No way around it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it hooked up before or after the maf? You'd need a tune to put it before the maf.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Actually he would need a tune no matter where its placed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the draw side, between the maf and engine. Its not staying in. Just playing around. A Note for all the kids out there. Save up and buy a turbo, and stop messing around with this electric nonsense, from the man who has done it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts