Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Did some searching but couldnt find much on this.

Is it better to buy Toms Intercooler or the Precision on from CFM and get it sprayed black, or buy one thats already black.

What are the price differences on something like this?

If anyone has any links please post :D or even photos :D

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd keep it the way it is. Get the non painted one. Looks better. I really never heard of ppl painting them. Natural alloy!!!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Painting them has the same effect as insulating them. Better to find a way to make it less visible with grills or placement.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
cowl hood with a top mount cooler would be a nice "stealth" option

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
cowl hood with a top mount cooler would be a nice "stealth" option
^ You can do this, WRX style. Only problem is the heat soak you will get from the top of engine...[dunno]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't buy into the painting them insulates them argument. I've run a painted intercooler for years with no issue. As a matter of fact, painting an intercooler black will help prevent heat soak because the black dissipates heat so well, as long as your intercooler isn't in direct sunlight because the inverse is also true (it soaks up heat from light very well).
Unless you're caking on paint to the point it blocks the airflow across the fins you're fine.
Google for "heat radiation black", and also look around for some videos on Youtube proving this.
http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age1...of heat energy/text/Heat_radiation/index.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/energy/heatrev2.shtml

The biggest thing you can do to help your intercooler is box it. I tested this at the drag strip and it was good for a 10*F drop after boxing in boost in the 1/4 mile, and cooled down to ambient temperature significantly faster than non-boxed.

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
Painting a intercooler is like putting on a second shirt on a cool day , it holds in the heat and lowers the efficiency of the cooler is it going to make a big difference no but it does in fact changes it cooling abilities

I have been saying to boox the coolers for years , why more people dont baffles me

Tom

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Any time you paint a inter cooler you lower its cooling efficiency , I wouldnt paint it

Tom
You may want to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

It's also been confirmed by members on the subaru forums that I visit.

Some people think that adding a layer of paint is like adding a layer of "insulation" to the intercooler. What they are missing is that the thermodynamic properties of black paint have an opposite effect, allowing heat to dissipate faster than a reflective surface.

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
You may want to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

It's also been confirmed by members on the subaru forums that I visit.

Some people think that adding a layer of paint is like adding a layer of "insulation" to the intercooler. What they are missing is that the thermodynamic properties of black paint have an opposite effect, allowing heat to dissipate faster than a reflective surface.
So your saying that if you paint it white or pink or purple it will cause inefficiency issues but black wont , come on thats silly , the color of what you paint it with doesnt matter you could do it with clear coat and it would still be covering the air from direct contact with the aluminum

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
Wats boxing and how do you do it?
If you look at the picture of his intercooler you will see an out lip on the cooler , air takes the path of least resistance , by putting this lip in there it forces more air to go through the intercooler which makes for slightly better cooling

Tom

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
So your saying that if you paint it white or pink or purple it will cause inefficiency issues but black wont , come on thats silly , the color of what you paint it with doesnt matter you could do it with clear coat and it would still be covering the air from direct contact with the aluminum

Tom

Its not silly, its science.

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
So again I ask if its painted pink or white the intercooler will run hotter then if painted black ?
I dont know about you but my black Focus is a heck of a lot hotter then my white Focus is and the only difference is the color

Tom

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
The mighty cars mods only proves that sitting at idle that the black cooler works better. You also have to remember their teats are in C not F. One person had made a video disproving the mighty car mods and MCM just dismissed with out any real proof. I would go for the natural finish of an IC any day over black.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
So again I ask if its painted pink or white the intercooler will run hotter then if painted black ?
I dont know about you but my black Focus is a heck of a lot hotter then my white Focus is and the only difference is the color

Tom
as explained, a darker/duller color allows for a faster transfer of energy. This property works both ways. Your black car will get hotter in the sun, but will cool down quicker when placed in a cold environment.

The mighty cars mods only proves that sitting at idle that the black cooler works better. You also have to remember their teats are in C not F. One person had made a video disproving the mighty car mods and MCM just dismissed with out any real proof. I would go for the natural finish of an IC any day over black.
I don't see how Celsius vs Fahrenheit matters. It doesn't really matter what units you measure with, the result is the same.

I haven't seen this "disproving" video, can you link it + where the MCM guys dismissed it? As mentioned, there have been other tests outside of the MCM video that have confirmed these results.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The problem for this question is that you're dealing with competing opposite effects.

A paint layer is an insulator, while black coloration is best for radiant emission/absorption.

Anodized black gets the advantage of the color, while avoiding the penalty of insulation from an added layer of material which doesn't transmit heat as well as the metal it's been applied to.

Color advantage is limited, since IF it's being hit by rays from the Sun it'll be absorbing heat that a silver finish would reject.

Unpainted would prob. be best for this, hard to get a light enough coat of paint on there to avoid insulation being a larger effect than the color. Effects should be small enough either way to make the choice a personal preference as long as paint is kept to a thin layer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the two options i have found where something like this,

For the HP goals of the car in question 280-300EHP either this in black:

Mishimoto

or this in silver

Precision or Vibrant

Just some concerns with size fitmet for a Euro ST170 Front Bar.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i feel like this thread has spun off topic slightly. to the OP: buy any cooler that will fit easily on your car and paint it. if your goals are under 320whp then you can get away with painting it just dont over do it.

to the guys arguing...

simple experiment you can try which will confirm one way or another for your paint vs unpainted pointless argument. (since the difference is so negligible)

get a thermometer gun or whatever its called where you point it at something and it tells your the temp

metal pipe

water hose

various colors of paint

get the pipe to 150 degrees evenly across the pipe to start each test. and time how long it takes to cool suspended in the air with a clothes hanger or something down to say 65 degrees or somewhere close to the ambient temperature in an environment where you can control the temp and keep it away from direct exposure to sunlight somewhere like say your living room. repeat this test a few times to get an average.

repeat the test while running cool water of a uniform temperature through the pipe. make sure the water coming out of the hose has not been sitting in the hose as the sunlight or ambient temperature can affect the temp of water that has been sitting in the hose so let it run for a minute or two before starting. time how long it takes the pipe to cool. dont do this in your living room. the change will happen quickly enough that air temp and sunlight exposure will have very little effect on the results. repeat this test several times to get a good average.

repeat both tests with the pipe painted various colors

put the pipe in your freezer until it reaches ambient temp of your freezer.

sit it in the sunlight on the windowsill in your home or somewhere that the ambient temperature remains constant. time how long it takes to warm to the ambient temperature of the room while exposed to direct sunlight with and without paint.

freeze the pipe and run water through it. do it with and without paint. remember to do each test multiple times to get an average.

simple grade school level science experiment you can try but the result you need to pay attention to is the one with the running water through the metal pipe. try it with your kids of you have any. you will both likely find it fun and educational regardless of age. the results may surprise you. and no im not giving spoilers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts