Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's what i wanna do, just buy a nice K&N filter and snap it onto my stock tubing. Are there any things i should be careful with? Any how-to's online? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!
Steven.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK, r u talking about just ramming a cone filter onto the end of the MAF sensor. if so, it's been done by many numerous times before. no harm, but no significant gains either.

Mike

PS- there should be a P/N for the exact K&N you need to do this floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RR-3301 I believe is what fits the SVT Focus. To remove the bottom portion you need to buy a case vent filter as well... K&N makes these or you can get a cheap one from the parts store... Either one for directly into the case or into the vent hose and remotely mount.

I had it on mine and removed it as my car is 3 days from lemon status and is going in for service on Thusday... Hopefully making my 30 days mark!!! NEW 04 HERE I COME!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as my sig says, i have a ZX3. so would that be the same part #? when you say parts store, you mean checkers, pep boys and so on? THANKS!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
checkers would have it (i work for kragen, which is the same thing but in CA). they'd have to order the K&N, but they might have some cheapy cone filter that you could just stick on the end. as far as the breather (case vent) filter goes, that can be taken care of in a couple ways. easiest would be to buy a generic breather filter while your at the parts store. if you go to checker, look in the spectre section (black packaging). they should have one where you can stick a plastic hose adapter in the end and stick the breather hose on the other end. if you can wait til saturday evening, i can even get you the P/Ns of everything you would need. the other way is to leave the lower portion of the box and just let the cone filter rest in it, that way you can still hae the stock breather hooked up.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind leaving my stock breather, and yes, i have PLENTY of time. Would leaving my stock box affect Sound/Performance? Would i get some gain by adding K&N filter?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i did it, it makes a little buz, nothing more, no power really,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you recommend taking the stock breather off? mofocus

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
well, the breather isn't what's really hindering performance. what i think mofo eant was that this whole mod really doesn't gain you a whole lot more than a "buzz." it's louder, sure, but the old butt dyno says that there's not extra oomph. as fas as leaving the bottom of the box goes, i did it, but the filter rattled against the sides. maybe that's the buzz mofo was talking about.

Mike

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
nah i just meant it kind of sounds like an air intake, but it doesnt really gives you as much air flow, and in order for it tobe ramair youd need some sort of scoop feeding air to the filter, most likely from the hood, but yeh i have a real intake now and its lots better

·
Registered
253 Posts
imajsdaddy, i see you're from alaska like me whats your car getting replaced for? i have mine being replaced with a 2004 zx3 2.3liter for being in the shop too many times for numerous problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok white boy, i saved all those #'s, really appreciate it. I'll try to stop by checkers tomorow. THANKS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts