Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you don't like it...Let me know why and I'll try and make it better...I want to make a useful site that people can refer to.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
focuzdSVT said:
What exactly is orange peel?
Orange peel is referring to the texture of the paint after the clearcoat. Rather than the paint being nice and smooth, it has a finish that looks exactly the peel of an orange, rough and what not. But after the paint has cured it will buff right out and the paint will look smooth as glass.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PpasSFocus said:
Do you have to wait 15-20 min between the paint and clearcoat?
Yeah. Basically you just need to let the paint tack up before you clear over it. Its more of a minimum wait time. If you go longer its no big deal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
A couple questions, I'm a bit of a newbie to painting so don't flame me.....

1. How exactly do you buff it or where can you get it done (I would assume an auto body shop, but I'm trying to do this all myself)

2. Where exactly can I get the paint in my cars color (I found the color code in the faq section, but can I order this from ford?)

3. Would this work for the molding on the bottom of the car as well?

4. Since I don't have access to an autobody shop like you did, would it just be better for me to just stop trying to do everything myself and take it somewhere? I noticed you applied the paint with.... a paint machine thing (my noobness is showing here) and I don't have acccess to one of those either

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I kind of had an unfair advantage with the shop access. You can get the paint from Ford if you want. Don't know how expensive that will be (I didn't buy any). The shop has every color in the book.

As for buffing it out you use an orbital buffer and some sort of compound. I haven't done it yet, but when I do I'll add pics and info to the site so that will make more sense. And yeah the paint machine thing in the pics is an airbrush. Basically its a spray gun connected to an air compressor (at low pressure) and it has a tank that holds a small reservoir of paint on top. You can't exactly brush the paint on you know. Also those guns are NOT cheap by any means...especially if you weren't gonna use it alot.

I don't see why this wouldn't work with any molding you did it to, but if you're talking about that front shield under the front fascia, the paint is gonna get a lot of wear and tear from rocks and such due to its location. I don't know if its wise to bother painting that. Then again I painted my wheels and they will definitely see alot of action.

And don't worry about the newbie thing or not knowing this term or that. I got lots to learn too. If you lived near Chicago my buddy would do it for a good price, but you are kinda far away. I guess its up to you if you want to do it yourself or open your wallet and have someone else do it.

Good Luck...Let me know if you got more questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figures I went to Chicago two years ago and not now [rolleyes]

anyway, i mainly wanted to go with the newer focus looks as far as the paint is concerned, I have a red car, and I don't want any black moldings at all, but then again I don't see the point in spending money on a body kit when I don't like the way most of them look (the whole ricer image doesn't appeal to me)

then again, I might just do the side moldings and be done with it, I need more money for performance upgrades anyway

and yet another question i thought up.... i assume i would have to use an airbrush of some sort, i know the stuff doesnt brush on, and spray paint.... well.... im not even going there [eek], ive seen it and I would much rather key my own car

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i agree about the majority of body kits out there. If I had the $$$ I would get the RS kit...looks amazing...But I don't, so its just another pipe dream. I like the spray paint comment...good luck working on your car...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW...i didn't even check the score...Too tired from work...and too much time on this evil site...check your mail...

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I think you done a great job with your site.

Heck, how much would you have charged if I would have let you paint my moldings? [:D]

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would still like to hear from someone who has had theres painted for over a year. See how its actually holding up over a lil bit of time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I have no proof that it will hold, but the adhesive I used is designed to stick to plastics such as that and also paint. So it should hold up just as good as the rest of the paint on my car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts